Options

A couple of questions for all of you

TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
I am getting fairly close to getting my AAS in networking. I have worked in a factory since high school ( 8 years) and have no experience in the computer field. I see that every job wants the qualified individual to have experience. I have talked to an IT staffing lady that said that I could get a help desk job, now with my certs. My question to you is: IS THIS WHERE THE COMPUTER ROOKIE STARTS? IN A HELP DESK POSITION. I don't mind starting in a position like this, but I am wanting to be an administrator. If I would start at a help desk position for a couple of years, would an employer for a Systems admin actually except my help desk work as experience to an admin type of job. I guess I don't know where or what my starting point is in the field. My factory job pays about $20.00 per hour. I am sure that some of you are thinking, why would I leave. Well, its a factory job, on 3pm til 11pm shift, non-climate controlled steel mill. It is hot during the summer and cold during the winter. I really don't care how much money I will start out making because I know that I have to start at the bottom and work my way up. I am completely fine with that. I just guess I don't know how to break into the computer field. I have one more year left of school. Every job that I have sent my resume in to, never gives me a chance for an interview. I figure once I get my degree, maybe that will help. If anyone can give me a direction to start with or just some advice, I will greatly appreciate it.
Taking 70-294 very soon...again

Comments

• Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Help desk is where you start from but I really wouldn't worry about it much. It'll take you less time to climb up the ladder compared to someone that didn't get a degree. But you'll want to work toward your bachelors while your at it.

I'm pretty much close to the same position as you are in except I'm having a problem finding even a help desk job. What I'm not to happy about is they expect you to work full time while going to school which I really dislike.

But since summer is coming up, full time really isn't a problem since most schools only offer lame 4 week classes. So, my game plan is to do a full time help desk position during the summer and hopefully switch over to part time when fall semester starts up and grab 4 or 5 classes.
  • Options
    TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I definitely plan to get my BA. I have been working 40 to 60 hours a week since I have been attending school(about 2 3/4 years now). Working full time doesn't bother me while going to school. So help desk will count as experience as an admin job? That is nice to know.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Was wondering the same for me after MCSE. I will earn my bachelor's degree. I have no work experience at all. Was wondering if help desk is ok even for MCSE even though its not the job I want... Is it ok for a first IT job?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Helpdesk is a pretty common launching point for people with a fresh degree and no experience. If you can you should go ahead now and just start out with a IT job ahead of graduation if you can. That by itself would put you ahead of the other people with a freshly printed degree without any experience at all. Another thing you could do is to do as much free work as you can (family, friends, volunteering your services, looking for apprenticeships, etc.).

You are gong to have to use the stepping stone approach to getting the job that you really want. Commonly, this approach goes something like this (possibily skipping a step or two depending on your situation):

Helpdesk/call center -> Helpdesk/Desktop Support -> Desktop Support -> Jr. Admin (often still having desktop responsibilities, depending on the company) -> Admin

I took a different path:

Intern with a small consulting company as a bench tech
    Hired with same company for same job with some entry level networking responsibilities
    Same company + lead desktop/server tech
    new company - jr. admin
    same company - admin
    new company - sr. admin

Finally, you should look into getting a couple of entry level certs soon. A+ and Network+, the XP or the Vista MCP/MCTS.

Good luck.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Help desk would be better than nothing at all but your help desk experience is not going to really do much in the way of helping prepare you for sysadmin work. Someone who has spent the past year resetting passwords etc is not really any better prepared to move up than when they first learned to do the level 1 tasks. Because you already have certifications and getting a degree I would be looking for either desktop support or junior admin opportunities. If you can't find any and help desk is all you can land then go for it. It's at least a foot in the IT door and you should move up pretty quickly with the training you already have.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Nsdad1107Nsdad1107 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my start in computers at the railroad. I worked for 5 years as a salesperson for a plastics supply warehouse. I used a mainframe all day and that was about it except for my A.A.S. in Electronics. I noted that on my resume and that I was studying for A+ when interviewing with the railroad. In my position there, I did just about everything (hardware, software, networking etc.) To make a long story short, I earned my A+ during my tenure there and started studying for N+. I now work for a K-12 school district.
    I see alot of opportunities out there for PC/network techs. with staffing firms and the like. I guess I would suggest looking at doing hardware/software/network support. Maybe check out Notre Dame or other local colleges in the area you're in. Would be a good starting point I think. Help desk is good too. Just guess it depends on what path you want to take. Nice list of certs by the way. Good luck in your endeavours. I can understand wanting to get out of the environment you're in. :)