Options

Learning SQL 2005

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am quite new to SQL and wanted to get some advice from some folks who are in the know.

I am beginning to study for the MCITP Database Developer cert and would like to know how I might best gain some experience in developing DBs. Once I have some good knowledge under my belt are there any projects around that I might be able to participate in? I also have some knowledge of web development languages like Perl and PHP.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can just come up with scenarios on your own. Take what you learn in each chapter and come up with some problem that could be solved with that technique, and implement it. If you want to be more ambitious, skim the entire book and come up with a cohesive project that will incorporate everything you learn. After you finish a section, implement that part of your project, and then move on.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice. I just passed my final test for the MCITP Enterprise Admin so now I can start pounding out the first SQL test. I am taking your advice and actually creating some of the case studies I have found. I appriciate it.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I started studying for 431 about a month ago. Almost nobody on these or any other boards has much to say about it except Beaver32. I'll make my comments after I test next month.

I will say most of what I have studied so far comes down to mastering the basics (basics are new to me though) in the SSMS. I chose not to spring for any costly training mats for this one, going to try to go by the books. Beaver put up some good resources if you care to look for them.

So far I've just installed Enterprise Edition and gone through some walkthrough and follow along type stuff. Being that these concepts are new to me, studying was going very slow until several days ago...so don't give up, it'll come to you.
  • Options
    brad- wrote:
    I started studying for 431 about a month ago. Almost nobody on these or any other boards has much to say about it except Beaver32. I'll make my comments after I test next month.

I will say most of what I have studied so far comes down to mastering the basics (basics are new to me though) in the SSMS. I chose not to spring for any costly training mats for this one, going to try to go by the books. Beaver put up some good resources if you care to look for them.

So far I've just installed Enterprise Edition and gone through some walkthrough and follow along type stuff. Being that these concepts are new to me, studying was going very slow until several days ago...so don't give up, it'll come to you.

Thanks for the encouragement, Brad. It has been the same for me. Slow until about yesterday. Problem is I have the exam set for two 1/2 weeks and hate to reschedule! We'll see what the deadline does to encourage me!
  • Options
    sunny155sunny155 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I studied for 3 months. In the first month the study was slow and theres lot to learn. I took the strategy of first watching the CBTs and than study the whole book. The book doesnt help u much. But the videos are excellent.
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been studying SQL 2005 for many months, starting with the Microsoft Press book.
    I highly recommend getting a trial/evaluation copy of the software installed asap on your pc and do the exercises/examples in the text you are using.

I did not do this. It is amazing what you learn by poking around in the SSMS.

I purchased study/exam materials from PrepLogic and these have made me get my head into SQL Books Online, and get my pathetic backside into the actual software.

I'd appreciate feedback on Preplogic if any of you have used these.

Thanks.