Options

stacking switches and routers

7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys, i was just wondering on your thoughts about stacking your lab equipment, is it ok or not icon_confused.gif: the reason i ask is that some of the material i have read, quote that you shouldnt, whilst some people i have spoken to say that its ok, i dont want to wreck my lab as it cost me just about every spare penny i had and i really cant afford to replace anything if it gets damaged,
thanks in advance

carl icon_cool.gif
W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I don't see a problem with it if its just a home lab. If it is actually in production then you should leave a gap for airflow since a lot of the gear has fans on the bottom. If you're worried then leave a gap.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say that it depends on how many devices you have and how warm it gets where you are running them.

I leave a gap between each device on my rack, which makes sense to me since I don't have AC in the room where I keep my lab.

If you're ever concerned about how hot your devices are getting, you can use the "show env all" command. The output of the command varies, but it will tell you if your board temp is OK and in some cases will tell you the fan status. I think the command became available with IOS 12.3
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could just do what ITdaddy does: http://itdaddy [dot] blog spot [dot] com/2007/08/close-up-of-my-access-router-system.html

Sorry for the bad url. Apparently BS gets filtered.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my current lab, I have them stacked. But in my situation, the room has great A/C ventilation and I'm also waiting on my rack to come into the mail!

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker