Options

tcp/ip book

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
Has TCP/IP changed much in the last few years? I found a book at a public library on TCP/IP. It is written in either 1997 or 1999, I think. I have heard from some that reading a book on TCP/IP is very helpful in Cisco studies.

Please let me know and thanks..
es
icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IPv4 is pretty much still the same, and the standard routing protocols won't be to different.

I just switched from grabbing my old first edition Routing TCP/IP Volue 1 by Doyle to grabbing the 2nd edition. The 1st edition is still good, but I figure I should take a look at the new IPv6 material added in while I'm checking things out.

There are lots of good TCP/IP books from the "old days" -- so it probably would just be easier if you mention the title so we can confirm that it was a good one back then. TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1, 2, and 3 were nice. I started with the Comer Internetworking with TCP/IP Volumes (and Stevens UNIX Network Programming). And even the old O'Reily books from that time are probably still worth a look.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    mikej412 wrote:
    IPv4 is pretty much still the same, and the standard routing protocols won't be to different.

I just switched from grabbing my old first edition Routing TCP/IP Volue 1 by Doyle to grabbing the 2nd edition. The 1st edition is still good, but I figure I should take a look at the new IPv6 material added in while I'm checking things out.

There are lots of good TCP/IP books from the "old days" -- so it probably would just be easier if you mention the title so we can confirm that it was a good one back then. TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1, 2, and 3 were nice. I started with the Comer Internetworking with TCP/IP Volumes (and Stevens UNIX Network Programming). And even the old O'Reily books from that time are probably still worth a look.

I'm curious Mike.. how much ipv6 is on the CCIE lab? I heard that was a new addition to the lab recently.
  • Options
    CiscoCerts wrote:
    how much ipv6 is on the CCIE lab?
    The blueprint mentions IPv6 Addressing, RIPng, OSPFv3 -- and I've nicknamed this line of the blueprint "easy points." :D
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mike has recommended some good books there. I like Stevens and Stallings. Protocol books are good reading. Roosevelt Giles did a very detailed book with some errors if you like all the gory details. I still have it. It was a whopping $190 when it came out. Find it used on amazon. Poor reviews mainly because it didn't live up to the title but if you *really* want details there's lots in there.
  • Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    mikej412 wrote:
    CiscoCerts wrote:
    how much ipv6 is on the CCIE lab?
    The blueprint mentions IPv6 Addressing, RIPng, OSPFv3 -- and I've nicknamed this line of the blueprint "easy points." :D

:) Which do you find most challenging, BGP?
  • Options
    CiscoCerts wrote:
    Which do you find most challenging, BGP?
    QoS -- because of the shear quantity of material they could ask about. And since the R&S exam definitely isn't a "Best Practices" exam -- all the legacy stuff is still fair game. icon_eek.gif

If you look at the Written Exam Blueprint -- they've got more IPv6 stuff in there, and that stuff could "leak" into the CCIE Lab Exam someday.

I still like my 1st edition Doyle Volume 1 and I still keep it first on the bookshelf before the 2nd edition -- rather than retire it to an out of the way bookshelf or donate to a Friends of the Library Book Sale. That book has earned the respect. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Ok.. thanks.. will let you know as soon as I can go back to the library..

es

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    CiscoCerts wrote:
    Which do you find most challenging, BGP?
    QoS -- because of the shear quantity of material they could ask about. And since the R&S exam definitely isn't a "Best Practices" exam -- all the legacy stuff is still fair game. icon_eek.gif

If you look at the Written Exam Blueprint -- they've got more IPv6 stuff in there, and that stuff could "leak" into the CCIE Lab Exam someday.

I still like my 1st edition Doyle Volume 1 and I still keep it first on the bookshelf before the 2nd edition -- rather than retire it to an out of the way bookshelf or donate to a Friends of the Library Book Sale. That book has earned the respect. icon_cool.gif

QoS is a handful but not that many marks, but to get them you do need to put the time in to have the mental agility to work with those tasks on the exam.

IPv6 isn't *that* bad at the moment. Even so you need to be ready for it.

Doyle Volume 1 I have read, upgraded to Vol 2 but Volume 1 is a fine tome. Back in 2001 there were fewer resources and that one was very good indeed!
  • Options
    Ok.. the book in the library is:

Cisco TCP/IP, Routing Professional Reference, 2nd Edition
    By Chris Lewis, 1999. (sorry if I did not APA Style that) icon_lol.gif

Is that worth taking time to read?

Thanks!
    es
    icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    It was an okay book in it's day -- but not a superstar. But then, Cisco wasn't a superstar back then either icon_lol.gif

Since it's a Library Book -- the price is right -- if you have the time and want some okay background reading, it's fine. Skip Chapter 5: Adding Support for Legacy LANs.

It won't replace any of the suggested/recommended books for the current CCNA exam(s).
  • Options
    reeves122reeves122 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not too sure if this was mentioned but what about
    "Internetworking with TCP/IP - Principals, Protocols, and Architecture"
    ISBN-10: 0130183806

I've read a couple of chapters from it and it seems to be very good. I was thinking about buying the updated edition. Any thoughts on this one?
    The EAST Initiative
    "We believe our students will change the world."
    http://www.eastinitiative.com/
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    One of the first books I've read about TCP/IP & Data Communications:
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/007246352x/

You should be able to find a copy of it or at least the 1st edition in your local library. It's a popular textbook.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    reeves122 wrote:
    "Internetworking with TCP/IP - Principals, Protocols, and Architecture"
    ISBN-10: 0130183806
    That's volume 1 of Comer's books -- it's still the Gold Standard for TCP/IP books.
  • Options
    reeves122reeves122 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I just now saw where you were talking about Comer's books.

I really like it so far so I may go ahead and get the newer edition for my CCNP studies. Thank you!
    The EAST Initiative
    "We believe our students will change the world."
    http://www.eastinitiative.com/