Options

Exchange 2000 Problem

NERVNERV Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok guys. I need someone to assist me here on this one. As MS has nothing that can help me.

I run a win2k as box with exchange 2000. I set it up with defaults and setup my user accounts for mail.
Everything works fine and dandy! Except.

I am being flooded by unknown people accessing my server and sending tons of messages through my smtp protocol.
If I shut off anonymous access to the smtp protocol. No mail can get to me. If I leave it on, I get flooded.

How in the world do I stop people from using my smtp protocol and allow mail to get through to me?
________
NERV
________

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I'm not familiar with Exchange, but would this work?

If you're running the server on a network, only allow those people with IP address inside your network to connect to the SMTP server, no one else should need to send mail from your server.

If it's for personal use, only allow your IP address to connect to the SMTP server, as you should be the only one connecting.

Like I said, I'm completely unfamiliar with Exchange, this is just the first thing I thought of.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    LostInSpace, that would deny any other SMTP server to send mail to it as well...

NERV, you need to configure Relay Restrictions, the following doc explains how:
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310380