Something to run Windows apps on Mac 10.4

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
Hi guys..

Our 16-user Mac department would like to start using Quickbooks on their Macintoshes (24" iMac's with Core 2 Duo's and 2 gigs RAM on OS X Tiger). Unfortunately, we only have PC copies Quickbooks available, and don't really want to purchase Mac version.

So I don't really know much about virtualizing Windows to run on Mac. Are there any free solutions out there? Looks like vmware fusion costs. I am not familiar with running PC on Mac. Any suggestions for a free program so we can get XP on Mac Hosts?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    No freebies I'm aware of.

If VMWare Fusion is too expensive, you might want to check out Parallels.
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know Quickbooks is expensive, but is it cheaper than purchasing a Windows license and Parallels/VMWare Fusion? How many extra PC versions do you have?
  • poortechpoortech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the free solution is WINE the famous program that works under linux and to get that under mac there is 2 ways:
    - Install the mac version of WINE and its "darwine" but the problem its an old version because the project is discontinued
    - Install "macport" www.macports.org and this allow you to install linux programs under OSX
    and its easy : download and install macport and Xcode from the tiger DVD.
    in command type "macport selfupdate" to update the database of software
    and after run macport dmg wine to create a DMG file or macport install wine to install it directly to your box
    Good luck
    MCSA, A+
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    We have enough PC versions to where it would work out cheaper to try and get virtualization than get all new versions for Mac.

I don't think the Mac people will want to install anything too fancy. The systems are mostly used for Photoshop and Final Cut. It's a real shame I can't find a free one like VMWare Server or microsoft's virtual server.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You realize you'll still need licenses for XP or Vista on each machine too, right? It looks like the Mac version of Quickbooks 2008 Pro is only $200. You're going to have to find a sweet deal to get virtualization and Windows for less than that. You'll also have the ongoing costs of administration and more complexity for your users. I don't see a lot of sense in going that route when there's a Mac version available.

You can see if you can find a virtualization product that might better suit your needs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

Have you thought about setting up a terminal server or something like that? Microsoft has a remote desktop client for Macs.

It looks like the Mac version is a year behind though. Do you need interoperability with the PC versions?
    interoperability ? no not really. We have a site license for XP (MS gold partner).

I don't think we have a big enough TS to handle 16 people using quickbooks at once.

I just hate having to dish out $3200 for quickbooks just because the Mac people want to use it -- we have perfectly good PCs not being used to their potential icon_sad.gif
    So I tried virtualBox -- http://www.virtualbox.org/

It's pretty sweet. It boots up XP in about 12 seconds on a last year's 24" iMacs. I am still fighting it a little bit -- as the processor seems to hit 100% whenever there is network activity, and it crashes whenever going in and out of full screen. Hopefully these can be worked around.

All in all, it is a pretty good app!