Options

My Head!

Appatchi_BioAppatchi_Bio Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, this is my first time to post in this amazing forum, I've been a reader only for quite a long time. I'm new in the IT filed and studying for the N+ Exam since it's my first pursued certificate. I also wanna thank this Forum and all it's members, nice job! and amazing Technotes.
All of us know that this filed is not that easy, and in networking we always have 2 names for everything, and sometimes 6! as in the MAC Address, BIA, L2 Addressing.... we got a lot to understand and, memories and link. That's Ok! I'll be getting in the topic now...

I'm having Sybex N+ Study Guide 4Th Edition e, and the amazing Technotes from this Forum and doing a lot of searches on Wikipedia.Org. All of this sources, Sybex, The Technotes are reliable and also wikipedia < although, some topics are not that reliable and doubty due to the lack of any references >. Well, my probleme is that for example about FDDI, in the Sybex book is mentioned that it can expan .... and the technotes is saying something else, also wikipedia, hope im not gonna have such a question in the exam that i'll be taking in 4 days in the God will.
Another major conflict, and i really mean it if i'm not wrong, is about Novell NDS and EDirectory.
In the Sybex book it's telling to notice the leading period in both Typeful, Typless, Fully Distinguished Name, I checked, by luck, Novell Website and it's saying that <Distinguished Names are also sometimes called Complete Names>, and, <A Fully Distinguished Name is a Distinguished Name that includes the leading period>!!! http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/dnd19990902.html
Notice also that Novell differentiated between Distinguished and Fully Distinguished, but Sybex just mentioned Typeful and Typlessonly , My Head Again! help, and thx in advance.
Becareful Of What U Wish U May Regret It, Becareful Of What U Wish U Just Might Get It...

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to mention that I refered unreliable only for wikipedia, not for the Technotes of course and not for Sybex. For sure wikipedia is an amazing site but some topics there are from unknown sources, might be true might be not, and this is what's making wikipedia the best Encyclopedia, in my opinion, opening the gates for anybody who wants to expand any topic or create a new one, the main idea is that some ppl wanna help, and it's much appreciated, but they don't put references links or don't know from where to get some.
    Becareful Of What U Wish U May Regret It, Becareful Of What U Wish U Just Might Get It...
  • Options
    (According To Novell)

* Distinguished Name (DN) :

- Another way to think of Distinguished Name is to think of it as an entry's object name combined with its context. For example, suppose a printer's name is lpIII, and its context is marketing.VerySmallCompany. The printer's Distinguished Name would be: lpIII.marketing.VerySmallCompany. You would read this name as: the lpIII printer which is in marketing, which is in VerySmallCompany.

- Distinguished Names are also sometimes called Complete Names.

Note : The Distinguished Name doesn't use a leading period.

* Fully Distinguished Name :

- A Fully Distinguished Name is a Distinguished Name that includes the leading period. The leading period means that NDS will resolve the name from the Root, regardless of the object's current context. An example of a printer's Fully Distinguished Name would be: .lpIII.marketing.VerySmallCompany.

* Name Type :

** Typeful Name **

- Typeful names are either Full Distinguished Names or Distinguished names that include the type of each object in the context. They are also called Typed Names.

- The typeful name uses the type abbreviation, an equals sign, and the object's name. For example, if a printer were located in the VerySmallCompany's development department, its typeful name would be:

CN=lpIII.OU=development.O=VerySmallCompany

** Typeless Name **

- Typeless name is the same as the either Full Distinguished Name or the Distinguished Name without object types. A printer's typeless name might be :

lpIII.development.VerySmallCompany

Leaf Object : An object that can't contain other entries.

Leaf Objects are also called Terminating Objects because they are at the “ends” of the tree.

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/dnd19990902.html
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Did you check the publisher's errata list for your book? I know my Network+ book had a couple that were listed on the web page.

They also tend not to dive too deep when explaining things, I believe Network+ is there just to give you the general feeling for everything. Diving deeper would mean getting vendor certs.
  • Options
    Yes i did check the Publisher's Website and so far didn't find any hint about correction. It's Sybex Network+ 4Th Edition. I, also, don't know if CompTIA will be that sticky in questioning, but the best i can do here is, for sure, to follow what Novell Netware's site is stating, its their own NDS anyway.

Luck will never relief me, the most i hate is doubting a question. When you'll find 2 parties are stating different meanings, 1+1=2 and can't equal 3 or 4, Standard ? As the market was screaming for standard to follow. Novell NDS and AD for Microsoft are based on X.500 as you know. Novell is saying that Fully Distinguished name does have a leading period, and Distinguished name Never uses a leading period. Sybex is only mentioning Typeful, Typeless and Distinguished name < Never stated the Fully Distinguished name > and stating to notice the leading period with the Distinguished name!!!