Options

Preparing for CCENT

CalderCalder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, i just joined the forum today in my Cisco lesson :)
Im preparing for my CCENT exam, I will be buying flash cards and i'm wondering if I should buy any cisco books for the exam, I have the online material so is it really worth it?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes, def!!!! most people recommend at least 2 good book resources for the exam. i purchased the wendell odom cisco cert library. its an excellent book! and have really enjoyed it. the other is todd lammele's book. thats a great one too.

When you say you have the online material what do you mean? are you in the ccna academy? or do you mean resources that you have googled?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    nel wrote:
    yes, def!!!! most people recommend at least 2 good book resources for the exam. i purchased the wendell odom cisco cert library. its an excellent book! and have really enjoyed it. the other is todd lammele's book. thats a great one too.

When you say you have the online material what do you mean? are you in the ccna academy? or do you mean resources that you have googled?
    Ah ok then :)
    thank you very much, i will get a couple of books once i have found the right ones.
    And yes I'm in the CCNA Academy since they do it at my school, been studying from scratch since september last year, passed the first two simesters and now hoping i will do well in the CCENT :)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im not sure what the academy material is like compared to odom's seen as though they are both cisco press? maybe someone could let us know who's read both??

If they are similar or the same then maybe just the lammele book would be a good addition? but like i say you would have to let someone who has read/seen both to let you know of that...
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi guys, i am currently using the cisco academy and the odom book together and i think they compliment each other very well, in my opinion its seems like the academy material looks from the perspective of scenario based learning through labs, linked with easy to read short pages of text, whilst the odom book concentrates more on pure fact and implementation of the knowledge, using the key topics. so my opinion they work great together as you get two quite different angles on the material, just my opinion, hope it helps

carl
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    flipmadflipmad Member Posts: 184
    I recommend you buy a book 1st. Understand and soak in the concepts. Flash cards should come VERY last as a refresher to remember things like commands and information you need to beat in your brain.

I didnt touch one practice exam or flash card until i read the book and understood it fully.
  • Options
    thank you all for your help :)
    i will deffinatly get the odom book, and re-read the online materials again
    Fully understand it then start practice exams ect :)
    I would be ecstatic if i passed first go! :D
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Anonther very good resource is CBT nuggets. I found it much easier to understand some elements of the book (Wendel Odem) after watching the videos. Jeremy has a way of explaining things that are easier to understand than the book. After watching the video series, the book is much easier to understand.

This is coming from the point of view of someone who had never even seen a switch or router until a few months ago.
  • Options
    wbosher wrote:
    Anonther very good resource is CBT Nuggets. I found it much easier to understand some elements of the book (Wendel Odem) after watching the videos. Jeremy has a way of explaining things that are easier to understand than the book. After watching the video series, the book is much easier to understand.

This is coming from the point of view of someone who had never even seen a switch or router until a few months ago.
    Hey, ill have a look on CBT Nuggets then, iv got the odem Books so hopefully it will make the book easier to read (not a big fan of reading myself)