Options

Top-down or Bottom-up?

sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
Do you think an introductory networking course should be taught with a top-down approach (i.e., starting with the Application layer and moving down to the Physical layer) or a bottom-up approach (Physical to Application).

I got in a debate with one of my profs over this and I think it's more intuitive to teach it top-down. Especially when talking about encapsulation...it just seems more natural.

Also, those unfamiliar with networking (usually) have at least a basic understanding of network applications. That is, they know what a web browser "is" but might not know how it works. Again, starting with the familiar concept of a browser and working down the stack seems like an easier transition in my mind.

Anyone else think differently?[/img]
Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There probably isnt a right or wrong answer to this. everyone is different. i was taught it from layer 1 - 7. but overall to learn it for me was down to repitition.

I can see what your trying to say with starting with something that is familiar to the student though.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Either way shouldnt matter, you always start with the basics when troubleshooting, ie ping, nslookup. Totally depends on the symptons.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I personally learned from 1 to 7. :)
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always felt it should be taught 1-7 or bottom-up. I think people need to understand how a network works first and understand the physical connections before you start talking about how the communication actually occurs. I understand your view point, but I liken it to knowing how to freerun before you can actually crawl.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely bottom up if supporting networks is part of your job. If you're more on the applications development end, top-down might work better.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    An instructor that more comfortable with hardware and layers 1-3 will start from the bottom; an instructor more familiar with network software development in layers 5-7 is more likely to start from the top. I would personally teach the OSI starting at layer 7 and drilling down in the stack to emphasize that there is much more to the whole cake than just the visible icing on the surface.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Either way. I was taught from layer 1 to layer 7 but really learned it from the several times I re-looked at everything to make sure I had things down.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    new B.S. grad: all ninja turtles deserve pizza every friday? is that right? oh, that's how we learned it.

new M.S. grad: the set of all layers in a 1:1 mapping over the set of integers from 1 to 7 traversed in chomsky normal form.

manager: the correct order is the golf layer and the beer subnet! lollllll. i am so cool!

developer: the correct order is 7, 6, and Vista.

ccna: the correct order is whatever helps you understand subnetting.

consultant: the correct order is 5,2,1,6,3,7,4. sorting this out will cost at least $12,000.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    nl wrote:
    new B.S. grad: all ninja turtles deserve pizza every friday? is that right? oh, that's how we learned it.

new M.S. grad: the set of all layers in a 1:1 mapping over the set of integers from 1 to 7 traversed in chomsky normal form.

manager: the correct order is the golf layer and the beer subnet! lollllll. i am so cool!

developer: the correct order is 7, 6, and Vista.

ccna: the correct order is whatever helps you understand subnetting.

consultant: the correct order is 5,2,1,6,3,7,4. sorting this out will cost at least $12,000.

Oops, I forgot to mention the 8th and most important layer: the user layer.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    According to Mike, that's Layer 0
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    According to Mike, that's Layer 0
    I thought Layer 0 was the electrons in the transmission media. The users would be Layer 8.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Layer 8 -- end user

Layer 0 can be user (as in the network admin) or power (as in the network admin not plugging it in).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!