Options

I passed... next?

xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
It was a fun exam, wasn't too bad. Like other posts, wordy and opinionated.

So what's next?

SEC+ seems like a good primer for the CISSP. Unfortunately, I need to wait for my next employer to be a real sponser of this exam. I'm not going to fake the pre-reqs... Having a paper cert is one thing, but breaking the rules is another.

In the meantime, it's the CCSP from Cisco. I can leverage the firewalls and routers with my current employer to aid my training. The rest, I guess I have to pay for classes & lab time.

Oh, I was reading the requirements for the GIAC:GSE exam, talk about requirements!!! Well, after see that, I can't complain anymore for whatever I have to go through to pass a couple of 90 minute exams. :D

-Xevious

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Congrats and good luck
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • Options
    rcsnydleyrcsnydley Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • Options
    xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! And good luck to you on your quest...

I actually have some good news, well, it's about my current job but maybe it can also apply to you.

One of the reasons why I'm not pursuing the CISSP is the 4yr experience requirement. It's tough getting it at where I work because the boss oversee most of the 'security' related functions. So how can I gain the experience?

I told him I'd like to align myself more on the security side of things by starting off with a simple Security Policy. Oh, I need to mention we have NO real documentations at work. Everything is sort of 'assumed' and we hear talk about documenting stuff - but it never happens. He was all for it.

I don't necessarily have the experience to fully document tight configuration examples, but I can definitely state the basics. i.e. Firewall rules, antivirus updating, patching servers, and Windows event auditing.

Well, it's a start for me and it may seem small, but I'm not expecting to be a security guru overnight. :D

-Xevious
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    CONGRATS
    Seems you been in the game for years. I just passed my Net+ the other day. I read every network related article that i could lay my hands. It did pay off. Could'nt afford Mike Meyers settled for dummies,techexams & the good old "ARPANET". I'm currently studying CCNA online curriculum. My question is what books would you recommend for Security+? Is one month enuff to be prepared if i study like a morron. I'm capable of sinking into study for 10 hours nonestop or more.At these time ANYTHING GOES.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Chiro

I would suggest that perhaps Sec+ may just be a step too far if you are not that experienced in the security field. The cost of the exam is more than Net+ etc and from bitter experience the quality and content of the exam is not quite up to scratch yet.

Materials
    Sybex Security+
    Tcats pdf (the full one)
    CBT Nuggets
    Sybex #3
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Dont you mean boson #3?
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    Thanks Russ. Like you say its much more costly icon_mad.gif and tougher (50/50) from what i've heard. My pockets aint that deep so i cant afford a rematch. Think i'll dive into A+ & 2000Pro for now. Thanks for the shading the light TECHIES icon_rolleyes.gif .
  • Options
    Haha - yes I do Pandimus. It was 5.30am when I wrote that after watching a rugby game. Me thinks I was already in sleep mode icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Looked everywhere for Boson #3 without luck. Dunno if i he was right but someone said its an un cast rated bull. icon_lol.gif Thanks to Webmaster i'm already studying on the tutorials as i wait for the book. icon_cool.gif
  • Options