Options

Yet another subnetting question

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
This is more or less an opinion of my knowledge level. I'm currently studying to take the CCENT and have a question. I am able to find the network size, subnet size and host size (all in bits) plus the amount of subnets and amount of hosts as well as the ip range and broadcast address of a particular ip address in about 2 minutes. Is that quick enough? I can actually do that without feeling like I've rushed so I feel like that's a pretty good time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I assume that's quick enough for the test. How are you going about that? Are you doing that all on paper? If you simply memorize the bit values (i.e. 5 = 32, 10 = 1024, etc.), you could probably cut your time in half. Realistically, you're probably not going to have to go higher than 12-14. Even if you only memorize a few, remember that the next step is twice as much and the previous step is half as much, and you can find any value quickly.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, that should be quick enough for sure. Can you do it in that time for all class A, B, and C networks?
  • Options
    Yeah, this is all done on paper...I've got all the bit values memorized up until about 11...And I'm pretty solid with each class. I'm going to be practicing for another week but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    This is more or less an opinion of my knowledge level. I'm currently studying to take the CCENT and have a question. I am able to find the network size, subnet size and host size (all in bits) plus the amount of subnets and amount of hosts as well as the ip range and broadcast address of a particular ip address in about 2 minutes. Is that quick enough? I can actually do that without feeling like I've rushed so I feel like that's a pretty good time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With some practice and the right technique, you could do it in your head, and in about 1/4 the time. when it finally clicked for me, it all seemed simple.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Before you start the test, write down as many ranges and block sizes as you can. That way you can look at 2 IPs/netmasks and quickly determine if they are in the same subnet. And don't focus too much on the "classful" concept, because the CCNA will expect you to deal with any unorthodox combination of IPs/subnets.
  • Options
    I should've prefaced my post with the comment that I'm taking the CCENT test first, which only deals with classful networks. I'm sure VLSM will be a whole 'nother ball of wax but I'm trying to focus on the basics first. Thanks for your help everyone.