LLQ and CBWFQ

When would a person use LLQ instead of just CBWFQ? I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing the two.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Essentially when you want to add a priority queue to a certain class (in particular voice) to reduce things like jitter, you can assign them to a strict priority queue using LLQ.

You can think of LLQ as CBWFQ with the addition of a priority queue for real time traffic.

The higher priority classes are given low-latency propagation of packets and guaranteed bandwidth. If any congestion occurs within the higher priority classes, then they will be policed to prevent them from exceeding their bandwidth. All the lower priority classes will use CBWFQ.

This is obviously a very simplified explanation.

HTH icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

LLQ defines priority

CBWFQ defines bandwidth

LLQ is often used for voice traffic
    CBWFQ is offten used for application like http
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    The scheduler takes packets from LLQ first up to a max bandwidth where as the other ques are guarantee a minimum bandwidth and gets served after LLQ. Than it gets put in the transmit que which is FIFO. So if you have a class of traffic that is sensitive to delay and packet loss like voice traffic you would put that in low latency que.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just keep in mind that the priority que will only use the amount of bandwidth assigned and will not use any unused bandwidth from the other ques. In other words if you set the priority que for 56k thinking it will reserve 56k you are actually also limiting the priority que to that amount of bandwidth only.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.