Options

Call Logging software for IT Support

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have just been given a task to find a cheap alternative call logging software for our IT department. We currently dont have anything in in place so any ideas would be appreciated. I have managed to find Easy Desk which looks quite good and costs about £30 per user does anyone have cheaper solution or used Easy desk and can recommend it. I work in small bank we recieve an average of about 50 calls a day and ideally most problems are resolved instantly whilst on the phone but sometimes some jobs go pending for a day or 2. We have also been asked to start recording all calls to avoid making unnecessarry calls to customers or forgetting to complete jobs.

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Smartticket (i think is the name - free i believe)
    Spiceworks is awesome. It does help desk features.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is a good one in my opinion, it is what I use.

http://www.inet-sciences.com/pricing.html

Free for up to two techs, used to be 3.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    thanks for the reply. I will play around with spiceworks because its free and also seems to have a lot of support. I could not find smart ticket or probably I did not search hard enough. If you find any other software PM me.
  • Options
    I have had a look at spiceworks and its a good piece of software but the only downside of this software and other similar softwares that I have come across is that they need to run on IIS server and some of them are actually hosted on the internet which is not ideal for me because I am working in a bank.

If you come up with any other suggestions let me know.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Depending how detailed you need it and how you need to manipulate the data have you concidered creating a Access DB.

Could be a viable option for simple call logging?

However for more complex use theres a open source product call RT (Request Tracker) it can be found at http://www.bestpractical.com/rt however it doesnt seem to have reporting capabilities so you would need to create the yourself against the MySQL DB it runs off.

RT Wiki is at:
    http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/ManualIntroduction
    About RT
    RT is about ticketing system for small- to medium-sized organizations. It is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), so it doesn't cost anything to set up and use. We'll get into the technical features later, but for now, let's look at how RT might work:

Billy has a problem with his Bananamaster 3000, so he sends email to help@example.com
    RT records the new issue in its database and sends Billy an electronic "ticket stub" containing the new ticket's ID number and, ideally, some helpful information. He can refer to the ticket stub if he needs to send another email later.
    RT forwards Billy's email to a set of staff members.
    One of the staff members, Jane, is the company's Bananamaster expert. So Jane takes over Billy's issue and drafts a reply to Billy, which RT automatically records and forwards to him.
    Billy is a happy customer; Jane resolves the issue and heads down to the pub for a pint.

I havent used the above just had a quick search for you.

The ones we use here arnt free or are bespoke apps for clients.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    RT for the win!!!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    liven wrote:
    RT for the win!!!

RT seems pretty cool, I'll be checking that out, we could use something where I work also.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    There is a good book on it:

Rt essentials

I think it is orielly books.

You can also run postfix or sendmail on the same box as RT and have tickets sent out by mail. Well actually you can do a lot more than that.

I ran it on fedora, but it might run on windows.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    Thanks for the RT stereo I will try that out.