Options

Configuring Console Connection

mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
I ran into an issue today while configuring a console connection and thought I would ask for a little help.

If I configure my console connection with a password, then tell it to use 'login local', what does that mean exactly?
I thought login local meant that it was supposed to accept a local username/password on the device - so what is the point of having a password also?

Long story short, I created a username/pass, then put a password on line con 0, then told it to use login local.

I'm now locked out!

What did I do wrong?
_______LAB________
2x 2950
2x 3550
2x 2650XM
2x 3640
1x 2801

Comments

• Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    when you type login local under the console you shouldn't use the password command under the console.

The router will authenticate you with the local database. On the hand if you type the password under the console, my guess is the login local command will take precedence over the password command.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    nice343 wrote:
    when you type login local under the console you shouldn't use the password command under the console.

The router will authenticate you with the local database. On the hand if you type the password under the console, my guess is the login local command will take precedence over the password command.

So did I screw myself? It asks me for a username AND password, but it won't work...
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    if you type login then it will use whatever password you put. If you type login local it will use the local database which you created by username/password under global config. If you didnt save your running config just reboot your router and you should have console access if not than password recovery

R1(config)#
    line con 0
    login local

R1(config)#
    username cisco privilege 15 password cisco

or

line con 0
    login
    privilege 15
    password cisco
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew