Options

New SOHO router needed - recommendations?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I'm thinking about getting a new SOHO router for home use with 1000BaseT jacks. It seems like I only have choices from draft-N routers which isn't a bad since I have a laptop with a Intel 4965AGN but for any consoles with built in wifi it might be a problem since I heard draft-N doesn't play well on mixed g and n signals. I don't have any of those consoles yet but I'm looking at getting a wii and maybe a PS3 in the future, so those might be a problem since I would need to use wifi on those since they would be downstairs and I'm not running a cable to them.

Another important reason I'm thinking about upgrading is because I would like to set up a NAS to backup and store programs that I would like to use downstairs (router is upstairs). I was looking at some routers with usb storage link built in, it seems like its the best way to go, just buy a external drive and plug it in. But I also have a extra older computer that I just got up and running, a 2800+ Athlon with Firewire that I could also use as a NAS. The only problem with it is it doesn't have SATA, so I would need to get a card or use a IDE drive. I'm not sure if it would matter either way but would just buying a router with storage link save on energy since just the external drive is on?

Another thing about signal, some draft-n routers are dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra 40 dollars or so to go for a router with 5ghz but I think 5ghz would be more then enough to cover my place for now. But then the consoles and any other non draft-n devices come into play and I'm not sure what I would do with that. Are consoles capable to use usb adapters to pick up draft-n signals? Theres some cheap off brand usb adapters on newegg for 30 bucks and they are draft-n.

Anyways, I was looking at either D-Link DIR-655 or a LINKSYS WRT350N since they are in my price range. Others I was looking at were LINKSYS WRT310N but has no usb for storage, LINKSYS WRT600N that has dual band but a bit expensive. Any other reviews for draft-n routers would be nice, most I came by were out of date or I didn't like the source.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127158&Tpk=dgl%2b4300

$95 with rebate is pretty good. The biggest advantage is that I can prioritize my Xbox-live traffic over my wife's WoW traffic.

"It's kinda laggy when you play Halo."

"Weird. Blizzard must be having problems with their servers again..."

icon_twisted.gif

I also like the Dynamic DNS feature. I can point a domain name at my router, and it updates whenever I get a new IP. I never have to bother with keeping track of that.

Also, if you're worried about N interfering with things, you can probably just turn it off. Every device I've seen like this allows you to specify which 802.11 specification you want to use.

Finally, consider getting a wired gigabit router and adding on a WAP if you can't find a single device that meets your needs.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, but
    dynamik wrote:
    The biggest advantage is that I can prioritize my Xbox-live traffic over my wife's WoW traffic.

icon_twisted.gif

is the funniest thing I have seen in a while. After just finishing a test and getting ready to start a server update, I need a good laugh.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    dynamik wrote:
    Finally, consider getting a wired gigabit router and adding on a WAP if you can't find a single device that meets your needs.

Thats interesting, maybe I should get a switch rather then buying a new router. My current WAP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122022

I was thinking I should get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127083 and plugging the uplink to my WAP router, it really shouldn't decrease my speed since my internet is just a 6 mbp connection.

At first I was thinking about getting new wireless draft-n router, kinda on the cheap side but it got good reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156226

The only thing I would be missing going without the draft-n is high throughput on wireless devices but I might be able to live without it, I'll think about it. My house/townhouse isn't big and wireless g covers it pretty good until I take my laptop in the garage, which I hardly do anymore.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    dynamik wrote:
    $95 with rebate is pretty good. The biggest advantage is that I can prioritize my Xbox-live traffic over my wife's WoW traffic.

That is a more modern equivalent of disconnecting the alternator in her car and pretending to fix it, without the fixing it part...
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share info since you asked about wrt600n.

Do not buy it if you intend to utilize the 5ghz band at probably greater than 25% bandwidth capacity.

I bought one this weekend and spent all weekend troubleshooting it. I'll be returning it tomorrow. I get disconnected from the 5ghz band and have yet to hold a connection for longer than 20 minutes. Not only that, but sometimes when it disconnects me, the router freezes and cannot be reached via the web interface for at least 10 minutes. Many others are having the same problem.

If the wrt600n worked, it would be awesome. It doesn't. Don't buy it.
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking at some new barebone, green (and quiet) PC, in order to replace the old P-1 router ;)