Options

Beginning the BSCI Journey

PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
So I finally broke down and bought the BSCI Cisco Press book and it is on its way.. I have been meaning to do this for a while.. but have been distracted.

I have set myself a long term goal.. in 1 year I would like to have my CCNP.. I don't think that is very unreasonable given the current situation.

Anyway.. my battle plan (so to speak) is as follows:

- Read/take notes from the book
- Do labs from the book
- Make up my own labs and do them (design/implement) based off the BSCI exam blueprint
- Evaluate myself, if I feel weak in certain areas , find out more info on them and re-emphasize those facts
- Compared the exam blue print to the CP book, if the exam blueprint wants more info on certain topics, find other sources of info on this and read them (I know this is a definite)
- Eventually take the test

Of course, this is all within a 3+ month time frame.. I don't plan on rushing into it.. I took the CCNA and it took me a few times to pass.. so I know how Cisco tests people and that they make sure that only those who know it.. pass (I know they are not trying to fail people on purpose, just really make sure only the ones who earned it, get it)

Anyway, If anyone has any suggestions to this strategy to improve it.. or any words of wisdom.. let me know
CCIE - COMPLETED!

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco's configuration guides are good as well as some RFPs on a lot of the technologies
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Learn everything on the exam blueprint and you will be good to go. Make sure you do not neglect any of the exam topics and take your time to learn the material.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ccie_in_the_makingccie_in_the_making Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets is very good, I never thought I would understand IS-IS or BGP but it did wonders for me.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will need more than one book to pass the BSCI. The Cisco Press exam guide for the BSCI is weak. I advise you pick up a used copy of Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1 on half.com or amazon. It contains about 700 pages of all you'd ever want to know about the interior routing protocols. It may be in the CCIE development series but it's worth reading. OSPF and IS-IS, Choosing an IGP for Large-Scale Networks by Doyle (same author as Routing TCP/IP) is another good book for the link state protocols. For IGRP/EIGRP I'd also read whatever Cisco has published on the DocCD.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plazma wrote:
    Suggestions to this strategy to improve it..
    Increase your caffeine intake and spend lots of long nights studying. :D

Good Luck! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!