Options

Folder, not file folder...

Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
So we have a folder on a file server that 'maps' to another folder located on a computer.

I've had to do some 'preventive maintenance' on the computer the folder was linked to so the link no longer works on the server. I looked at the folder link on the file server and it's something I've never seen before. It's not a shortcut. When I go to the properties it has the unc path to the folder on the computer. Now when I view using details it's file type is Folder, not File Folder like most are. I cannot change the UNC path. There are no other details about this Folder other then it's UNC path.

It's seems like it's mapping a network drive to a folder or something similar. It's killing me that I don't know what it is.

I went to my guru and he's never seen it either. I'm afraid this maybe something in my studies that I overlooked possibly icon_eek.gif

Anyone throw me a freakin' bone?
A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
CCNA

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does it look like an open folder with a bar under it that is supposed to represent a network cable (I think)? If you type in \\servername to access a server with a share through Windows explorer you should see that type of icon representing the share. Also, if you double click on My Network Places in Windows XP you may see a similar icon that would repesent a recently opened network share on your computer. Not sure if that is the same icon you are talking about but I think it is, and I beleive it is just a shortcut but says it is a folder.

EDIT: If you go into My Network Places and double click on Add Network place then you can create that icon which is just a shortcut really.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DFS?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Does sound like it could be DFS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.mspx

The only other thing I can think of now is a mounted volume however they show as mounted volumes so unless its not even reporting things right......
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmmm, I'll have to see what this may have been and try to replicate it. I'd bet it wasn't DFS but I'm not 100% sure, so I wouldn't risk the Fett Man, even if I was 100% sure. I wish we didn't delete it :^). Looks like a normal folder, when sorted by details, type is just folder, properties just has UNC path.

Thanks for the hints guys.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA