Options

Where is that Post about Router/Switch Models?

LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
Hey folks, sorry for the redundent question. But can someone point me to the posts that inquire about what Routers and Switches would be good for building labs; also information about NMs and WICs.

I just passed the CCENT and really need to get down and dirty with some equipment for the 816 exam possibly CCNP in the future.

I've been to ebay and did a search for 2600. There are a million and half routers out there but I don't know what would be the best models. Also how much memory Ram and NVRAM should I be concerned with getting. Further what about switches. RIght now I want to focus on the ICND2 exam and want to make the most of my study time. How many routers and switches would be ideal for setting up a lab at home with emphasis one the ICND2. Should I be concerned with setting up a Frame Relay switch?

Again sorry about the redundency of this post. Just need help in having some people point me in the wright direction.

Also would like to add I'm running Dynamips/Dynagen; do they support switches for practicing VLANs/VTP, STP/RSTP et al?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a section in the CCNA Forum FAQ about labs and hardware. But a lot of learning goes into selecting hardware for a home lab, so there isn't a shopping list for building a home lab there. Plus different people have different opinions. I think you can learn everything for the CCNA with 4 or 5 routers and 3 switches. Others think you can get by with 3 routers and 2 switches. And I've seen someone claim a single router and single switch is enough icon_eek.gif Plus it also depends on how much you want to spend and what you're willing to give up. If you're already thinking ahead to the CCNP, then you'd want to spend a little more now, otherwise you'll be upgrading a couple routers later for the CCNP (and MPLS).

Since Voice can be scary to a Data Network person, I did put a large section of Hardware Documentation Links in the CCVP FAQ -- but the one doc you'd definitely want to look at is the Overview of Cisco Network Modules for Cisco Access Routers. Start with that linked section, and if any of the other sections in the contents catch your fancy -- check them out.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!