Options

quad core xeon processor a dying breed????

livenliven Member Posts: 918
I was just delivering a script to another department when I overheard some of the security auditors arguing with a procurement fella.

The procurement guy was saying that quad core xeon procs were a dying breed...

And the security auditors were not believing a word he was saying...

Is there some new technology that is going to totally replace these processors? I mean something coming out (soon) or is already on the market?

please remember I am not as much of a hardware guy as I used to be. And it is so hard to keep up with the current hardware changes.
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Intels nehalem architecture is supposed to come out this fall, pretty much blowing everything else out of the water. Intel also just cut a lot of the quad core chips prices.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Intel doesn't have any of its multi-core Xeon processors marked for end-of-life, so that guy must have a different definition of "a dying breed." Maybe he just likes to spend money on bleeding-edge technology.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We'll still be seeing quad cores being sold in new machines for a year or two I'm sure.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    JDMurray wrote:
    Intel doesn't have any of its multi-core Xeon processors marked for end-of-life, so that guy must have a different definition of "a dying breed." Maybe he just likes to spend money on bleeding-edge technology.

That is what I am saying....

I think this guy just likes to hear himself talk.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.