Elective: Exchange 2003 and 2007

I planned to take 70-284 for my MCSE elective and then someday 70-236 for MCTS, but after looking at all the other certs I want to obtain icon_eek.gif , I don't know if I should take Exchange 2003. On the other hand, I like two things about '03 & '07 combo:
- There should be a great deal of overlap and taking '07 shortly after '03 would save me some study time.
- Seeing quite a few job postings that want Exchange experience going back as far as 2000 or even 5.5, would taking both '03 and '07 give me much better chances than '07 alone? I know that experience comes first (I have ~3 years), but how helpful is the '03 & '07 combo?

I don't want to focus entirely on Exchange, but %95 of the jobs I see (not necessarily Exchange admin/engineer) want some solid Exchange experience, among many other things. Instead of thinking what's good for my current position, I want to focus on what's better on the job market today or near future.

What do you guys think: 2003+2007 or 2007 only?

Comments

• doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    It sure would be best to get both certs. Exchange 2007 is the future, but right now and for a couple years, many company will continue to use exchange 2003.
    So getting both certs mean a company hiring you would get someone that knows the current system, but is ready whenever they upgrade. (and can plan and do the actual migration)

But, there is not that much overlap between the 2 exams. Exchange has changed a lot between the 2 releases. So it means quite a bit more studies....

I would say the combo 2k3 and 2k7 is killer, but if i needed to choose between the two ....
    Well its a tough choice for me, but I guess I'd focus on getting 2k3 first since there is more companies using it it makes your more marketable. I would definitly start exchange studies as soon as i could, tho.

Sorry for the bad english, its not my first lang and since i'm really tired (2 overnights in the last 5 days ) , i kinda loose it a bit. icon_eek.gif
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • 1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    It does look clearer now. Thanks.
    I guess I'll go for 70-284 as I first planned.
    doom969 wrote:
    Sorry for the bad english, its not my first lang and since i'm really tired (2 overnights in the last 5 days ) , i kinda loose it a bit. icon_eek.gif
    I don't see any "bad English". Maybe this is due to English being my third language. icon_wink.gif