Options

troubleshooting problems

I wonder if anubody could help me with this?

When troubleshooting problems, first thing I should try is:

1. Driver Rollback, Disabling driver or service, reversing system or application settings, reversing a file operation, then
2. Safe Mode, next
3. Last Known Good,
4. Recovery Console and finally
5. ASR

Am I missing something? Corerct me if I am wrong, please.

Regards
Banderas

Comments

• Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I wonder if anubody could help me with this?

When troubleshooting problems, first thing I should try is:

1. Driver Rollback, Disabling driver or service, reversing system or application settings, reversing a file operation, then
    2. Safe Mode, next
    3. Last Known Good,
    5. ASR

Am I missing something? Corerct me if I am wrong, please.

Regards
    Banderas

I would change it to this...

2. Last Known Good
    3.Safe mode/System Restore
    5. ASR
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    cacharo wrote:

I would change it to this...

2. Last Known Good
    3.Safe mode/System Restore
    5. ASR
    Hi, why would you try first Last Known Good and not System Restore, please?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It depends upon the situation but if it is a situation that calls for LKGC then you will want to do that first because if you actually get a successful boot then LKGC is no longer any good. If you know that the problem is just a bad driver and you're able to boot properly then driver rollback is where you will want to go. Safe mode is for if you can't boot properly and then you can go for the driver rollback if you know it is a driver problem. Recovery console is good in a no boot situation and sometimes you may have to go for that. ASR sometimes is the best way to resolve a problem under time constraints or based off the difficulty or nature of the problem. It is all rather problem specific though. i.e. You can't boot the system because of a bad driver then LKGC will save you a lot of time rather than working around getting Safe Mode working so that you can do a Driver Rollback. Also don't forget that in some no boot cases that you suspect are related to video drivers then doing VGA Mode will be sufficient as well.

So to put things back into an ordered list I would approach it like this:

1. LKGC
    2. Driver Rollback
    3. Safe Mode
    4. Recovery Console
    5. ASR/Reinstall
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    undomiel wrote:
    It depends upon the situation but if it is a situation that calls for LKGC then you will want to do that first because if you actually get a successful boot then LKGC is no longer any good. If you know that the problem is just a bad driver and you're able to boot properly then driver rollback is where you will want to go. Safe mode is for if you can't boot properly and then you can go for the driver rollback if you know it is a driver problem. Recovery console is good in a no boot situation and sometimes you may have to go for that. ASR sometimes is the best way to resolve a problem under time constraints or based off the difficulty or nature of the problem. It is all rather problem specific though. i.e. You can't boot the system because of a bad driver then LKGC will save you a lot of time rather than working around getting Safe Mode working so that you can do a Driver Rollback. Also don't forget that in some no boot cases that you suspect are related to video drivers then doing VGA Mode will be sufficient as well.

So to put things back into an ordered list I would approach it like this:

1. LKGC
    2. Driver Rollback
    3. Safe Mode
    4. Recovery Console
    5. ASR/Reinstall
    I got it, thank you!