Exchange 2007 64 Bit Power Shell - Issue

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am currently running an Exchange 2007 64 Bit on a Windows Server 2003 Version 5.2 Build 3790 SP2 64 Bit, I followed all instructions on how to install Exchange 2007 Powershell, but for some reason it doesn't look like I have the correct Powershell for Exchange 2007, this halted my study, since I still have to get myself familiarized with commandlets. I wouldn't want to blow out my OS/Exchange installation since this will take time.

Here's the version of my Powershell, if you have any idea on how to setup Exchange 2007 Powershell please let me know.

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SOGGYRICE> get-host

Name : ConsoleHost
Version : 1.0.0.0
InstanceId : 195e2d5b-270b-450d-aae1-efc264234185
UI : System.Management.Automation.Internal.Host.InternalHostUserInterface
CurrentCulture : en-US
CurrentUICulture : en-US
PrivateData : Microsoft.PowerShell.ConsoleHost+ConsoleColorProxy

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SOGGYRICE>

Either I'm not using Powershell correctly or I have the incorrect Powershell for Exchange 2007, I appreciate the help... :):):)

Added: I have .Net Framework 2.0 & 3.0 (64 Bit) SP1 installed on a 64 bit box, and also an "Update Rollup 2" for Exchange 2007.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Uninstall .Net Framework 3.0 (this is for Exchange 2007/Server 200icon_cool.gif. You want .Net Framework 2.0 only for Exchange 2007 RTM and Server 2003 and .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 if you're running Exchange 2007 SP1.

Also, for Powershell, you'll want to make sure you install Powershell 1.0 only.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you uninstall Powershell? I'm not able to see it on add/remove program...
    I uninstalled .Net 3.0 and it's the same, I'm unable to find 1 single cmdlets for Exchange 2007, also I believe I do have Powershell Version 1.0...

Thanks Royal!!! icon_cool.gif
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes you are running 1.0.

Run this within PowerShell:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Admin

Or just open it up by using: Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 > Exchange Management Shell
    astorrs wrote:
    Yes you are running 1.0.

Run this within PowerShell:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Admin

Or just open it up by using: Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 > Exchange Management Shell

There it is... Damn I'm so stupid sometimes icon_exclaim.gif Apparently there is two shortcuts for Exchange Powershell... this definitely work, sometimes I just miss the most typical stuff... Thanks for the help back to studying...
    No problem. Glad to help.

One shortcut is just plain "old" Windows PowerShell, the other has the Exchange cmdlets already loaded and the path set correctly.
    astorrs wrote:
    No problem. Glad to help.

One shortcut is just plain "old" Windows PowerShell, the other has the Exchange cmdlets already loaded and the path set correctly.

It looks like this is the case, but you still have the syntax to invoke exchange command on old windows powershell, which is good to know...
    I find this Powershell to be very powerful and scriptable commands, more kudos for M$ for making it as powerful as linux shell... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif
    jbaello wrote:
    I find this Powershell to be very powerful and scriptable commands, more kudos for M$ for making it as powerful as linux shell... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Yup, they got tired of admins saying, "why can I write a script to change n"?

And that inevitably led to this conversation:

Admin: "How do I do structured error handling in VBScript?
    MS rep: "Error what?"
    Admin: "Sigh, never mind..."

The nice thing is more and more vendors are starting to write cmdlets to gain access to their products: Citrix (for NetScaler, XenServer, etc), VMware (for Virtual Center), and so on.
    I can write cmdlets and scripts all day, this powershell is powerful and relatively easy to use, like running a command on a Cisco Router wysiwyg... And Exchange 2007 MMC is broken down in an organized hierarchy structure, I guess M$ did a pretty good job with Exchange 2007, I still gotta see Windows 2008, I wonder where Vista's future is headed, hope it's not ME...