Options

Encryption

Hi,
If my account is not a recovery agent, then I can not decrypt files decrypted by other users even though I encrypted the folder (wher the file is located). Is it because the recovery agent is attached to to a given file? I feel so but what is the point in encrypting the folder, then???

Thanks,
Banderas

Comments

• Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    id imaging the point of encrypting a folder is to simplify mass file encryption. ie, you dont have to encrypt each file below it separately, when you add a file to the folder it gets encrypted, less management :)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    wedge1988 wrote:
    id imaging the point of encrypting a folder is to simplify mass file encryption. ie, you dont have to encrypt each file below it separately, when you add a file to the folder it gets encrypted, less management :)
    That makes sense but if someone puts an encrypted (not by me) file into a folder (encrypted by me) then I am not the recovery agent of the file but him, right?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When a file is encrypted with EFS, it attaches the certificate of the one who encrypted it to the file. In the case of an encrypted file by Joe being placed in a folder with the Encrypt Contents option selected owned by John I really dont know what would happen. Might be a good lab to set up banderas1978, and let us know the results.

BTW - You are not the recovery agent just because you encrypted the file. A recovery agent is someone other than the person who encrypted the file but has the necessary certificate to decrypt it via policy.

Check out this thread for some more info:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18560
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    sprkymrk wrote:

BTW - You are not the recovery agent just because you encrypted the file. A recovery agent is someone other than the person who encrypted the file but has the necessary certificate to decrypt it via policy.
    I see your point. But whenever I encrypt a file, the necessary certificate is attached to me, right? And that makes me able to decrypt the file.
    What is called the person who encrypted the file?
    Now I finished reading that tread you gave me a link to. That confuses me a bit. I remember from Transcender questions that there is a way to decrypt a file encrypted by someone who is no longer available. I have to get back to that solution of Transcender.