Options

OSPF totally stubby areas

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
Totally stubby routers seem great because the ABR blocks any inter-area LSAs for better performance and scalability. Could someone give me an example when it would be better to use the non-proprietary stubby area over the cisco total stubby area. (Besides of course if you don't have all cisco routers).

I was thinking that perhaps if this total stub area had multiple ABRs that connect many various area suboptimal routing would be performed since the total stub area would always go to the same ABR based on the injected default route. Are my thoughts correct? Any other situations people have experience with?

Comments

• Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    isn't ospf an open standard ?

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2328.html

my favorite is the nssa not-so-stubby-area
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    OSPF is an open standard, but I believe the "totally stubby area" area type is a cisco thing. It looks like you can get the most flexibility out of the NSSA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Most flexibility out of NSSA?

What about NSSA TSA?? Now that’s flexibility!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Most flexibility out of NSSA?

What about NSSA TSA?? Now that’s flexibility!

Never heard of it, but just read about it...oh that tricky Cisco
  • Options
    Just wanted to make a point as well for anyone studying CCNP. The study material I've used make it seem that the NSSA are only useful when connect the area connects to an ASBR in order to disguise type 5s LSAs as type 7s. As a potential solution to the problem I wrote about with the stubby areas and default routes in my OP they can also connect to other non-area 0s so all traffic doesn't have to go through Area 0 first. For example if there was an adjacent area 1 adjacent to area 2. Area 2 could route directly to an ASR that bridges area 1, without sending to area 0 first.