Options

Sysprep Question

Hello,

I read the technote on this website that explained Sysprep, but I'm having an issue putting the pieces together. Below (in bold letters) shows what I'm having a problem understanding:

First Windows XP Professional is installed and completely configured on a master disk. Next, an image of the client is created using sysprep.exe (remember that only a single partition can be imaged). This image can be duplicated to other disks using third-party disk duplication software. A duplicate of the master disk is placed in a target machine, and when this computer boots a mini-setup will be performed and a new SID is generated. You can use the Setup Manager Wizard to create a mini-answer file named sysprep.inf. This file must be placed in the Sysprep folder on the root where Windows is installed or saved to a floppy disk, and inserted at the beginning of Mini-Setup.

Now most of that statement... I understand. The thing I don't understand is... where should the disk be before it is placed in the target machine? Should it sit out in the open while it's receiving the image? Maybe I've misunderstood what the technote is saying, but it sounds like the disk drive would have to be out of the computer while it's being imaged, then place it in the computer, and then it goes through the mini-setup.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
The biggest risk in life is not taking one.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Basically, it goes like this:

1. You install Windows on a computer just like you normally would.
    2. Once you have the machine set up and ready, you run sysprep.
    3. When the sysprep process is complete (it only takes a few seconds) the machine will automatically shut down.
    4. At this point you can either:
    >a. Remove the hard drive and use a machine specifically made to clone hard drives.
    >b. Boot the original machine using a third party disk imaging boot disk.
    5. Using one of the above methods you copy the master drive to one or more additional drives.
    6. Install one of the copied drives in a new PC and turn it on.
    7. The new computer will come up and since the hardware may not be 100% identical to the original computer, a small mini-setup routine will run to detect new hardware. It will be otherwise identical to the master computer you did the original install on, including all the setup options you slecetd such as time zone, wallpaper, administrator account password, etc. The only differences will be if there was different hardware on the new PC. Also, a new SID will be generated for the computer. If you installed Office or Winzip on the master computer, it will also be on the cloned computer, etc.

HTH.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. :)
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.