Exchange 2007 implementation

cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have a client interested in implementing Exchange 2007 (..and I'm not at all familiar with Exchange, or email implementation in general, so please bear with me) and they want to use the Exchange Server to get POP email off an external provider, and then deliver it to their users. This doesn't make much sense to me, but still I wonder if it can be done, is there a generally accepted name for this type of implementation, and how on earth can I do it? Any guidance anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. All this email terminology is screwing my head up.

thanks.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know a few colleagues who've used IGetMail (http://www.lockstep.com/igetmail/igm-product.html) to achieve this and it works great. It's also very cost effective at $99/server (vs. doing it with scripting and the associated management headaches).

As for planning the deployment itself you're going to need to do some serious reading (or hire someone else to design and implement it for you). The best place to start is with the Exchange 2007 product documentation on TechNet (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124558.aspx)

There are lots of Exchange people on the board here so feel free to post questions if you get stumped or want someone to review the proposed design.
  • mhamdimhamdi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recomed most of my client to downgrade Exchange 2007 to exchange 2003 which is free sevice from Microsoft , and most of them agree with that for many resone for example this new product still need some time for become stable after many update and service pack and the most reson for that the administration of the product were most of the system administrators need more time to get training and work experince..
    I recomend you to sugist the same to your custmer.....
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I have a client interested in implementing Exchange 2007 (..and I'm not at all familiar with Exchange, or email implementation in general, so please bear with me) and they want to use the Exchange Server to get POP email off an external provider, and then deliver it to their users. This doesn't make much sense to me, but still I wonder if it can be done, is there a generally accepted name for this type of implementation, and how on earth can I do it? Any guidance anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. All this email terminology is screwing my head up.

thanks.

You can set forwarders on the individual pop3 accounts themselves to forward all email to the email address associated with the Exchange server. It deoends on what kind of pop3 options they have.

I'm guessing their pop3 accounts are associated with a domain they don't own?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    True, I guess it depends on how many accounts we're talking about. When I've seen this done before its usually a temporary thing (for a client that used to have outsourced email in the past and wants to bring it in house - seamlessly to the users)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never set this up but I know it can be done. A company I used to work for had a couple of customers doing this with Small Business Servers.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Yes if you have Small Business Server 2000/2003 you can do it using the built in POP3 Connector from Microsoft.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I'll look into the POP3 Connecter and let you all know how it works out.
    Thanks guys. I'll look into the POP3 Connecter and let you all know how it works out.
    This is a feature of SBS 2000 & 2003, it is not available for stand-alone Exchange and the 2008 version of SBS (that includes Exchange 2007) is in early beta right now. Your best bet is to use IGetMail with Exchange 2007 right now.
  • shackdaddyshackdaddy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    POP3 Connector is in fairly common use in the small business space, although it's normally just a tool to ease migration, not a long-term solution most of the time.

I have two clients who are using it long term.

1) Has the ISP as the 2nd and 3rd MX records (their server is 1st) and if their server goes wonky, mail is delivered to ISP-hosted mailboxes, and their server picks it up via POP3 Connector when it comes back online. So most of the time the connector isn't actually doing anything.

2) Franchise of a larger company. They use the POP3 connector to download their office's mail to their own Exchange server for local use and distribution, since the corporate office "owns" the domain name. They also relay out through the corporate smarthost.

The POP3 Connector is part of the package in SBS 2008, which is basically Windows 2008 server with Exchange 2007. SBS 2008 also has a backup solution integrated that allows Exchange-aware backups, which the native Windows 2008 OS does not, amazingly enough... SBS 2008 should by out by Q4 this year.

Dave