Options

Old Networker Needs Advice

CarpeCarpe Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Howdy everyone, hopefully somebody here can steer me in the right direction.
Back in highschool I was one of the local computer whiz's and still am very good with computers. I was running my own little computer and network setup show to make money back then.
Anyway, I got my A+ and got my CCNA, and was even starting to work towards my CCNP (while still in highschool!). Then I joined the Marine Corps as a grunt and basically didnt do much other than help people if they had computer troubles. Well, now I am out of the Corps and I need a job! Im thinking about retaking the CCNA test since it has obviously expired (got it in 2001). My question is how much has the material changed since then? If I brush up on my stuff (i still have CD copies of the online courses all the way to semester 6) will I have a good chance of passing, or have things really changed a lot? Any advice for me? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you went through the Cisco Network Academy, you should have Alumni access to the updated courseware for the courses you took. I signed up after my first CCNA Semester -- I think finishing 1 course was the prerequsite. The information should be on the Network Academy website. You should also be able to download Packet Tracer -- it's still doesn't have the functionality of the Boson Simulator, but it's getting there.

For the CCNA, about 25% is new/updated/changed material. I'll see if I can find the best post with the adds/changes/deletions.

For the CCNP -- BSCI and BCMSN have about 25% new/updated/changed material EACH. Then there are also the two new exams.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote:
    I'll see if I can find the best post with the adds/changes/deletions.
    Found the next best thing -- a quote with the link in it.
    mikej412 wrote:
    Check out this Is the 640-801 that much different to the 640-802 thread for the differences.....

But compare the 640-802 Exam Blueprint to the old 640-801 Exam Blueprint (and the old Academy Courseware) to be sure.

If you just study/review the old courseware without learning some of the "new stuff" and getting some hands on practice (like with SDM), you may be in for a surprise. Remember a lot of the old 640-607 CCNAs got surprised when they went to recertify on the ICND exam..... better safe than sorry.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CarpeCarpe Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahh, good info, thanks a lot! Only 25% really doesnt sound too bad to me... And I imagine some of that has to do with voip and other tech that has just developed in the past handful of years? Regardless thanks for the help.