Options

Weird Clock Rate Issue...

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
Situation… I have a 2610 with a NM-4A/S, I have each serial interface with the DCE plugged into each slot. I have the DTE going to the other serial interfaces of the other routers. I configured the clock rate on the DCE and setup each router’s serial interface with an ip address and etc…

I was not able to get the line protocol to come up! Of course I ran a no shut on all interfaces and the interface would come up, but the line protocol would be down. After pondering, I decided to switch the cables and run each router as the clock rate provider back to the 2610 with the NM-4A/S. Without changing a single configuration other than setting the clock rates on the other routers’ serial interface (once cables were switched), I was able to immediately ping each interface on the other end of the DTE/DCE cable.

I’m curious as to why this would happen? If I setup the 2610 w/ the NM-4A/S as a frame switch, I have to provide the clock rate from each interface of the 2610, but if it is setup as a “hub” in a hub and spoke config, it cannot provide the clock rate to the other routers? Is this true? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

~Peanut Head
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are these all serial connections? You are saying switching cables and it's throwing me off.

This will bump your thread at least.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you do a show controller serial $/$ command?

Is the show controller command showing the ends matching the cable marking? Maybe your cables are labeled incorrectly and wired "backwards."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Are these all serial connections? You are saying switching cables and it's throwing me off.

Hi Mishra,

Yes... all of the cables are serial cables. When I was referring to switching cables... I really meant switching cables from one router's serial connection to the other router's serial connection. Hope this helps for clarity!

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Did you do a show controller serial $/$ command?

Is the show controller command showing the ends matching the cable marking? Maybe your cables are labeled incorrectly and wired "backwards."

Hey Mike,

When I do a sh controllers... the results correspond to what each cable has written on it.

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    DB60 on both sides of the serial connection?? What clock-rate were you using?

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    I used 64000 on each interface. I didn't try to use a different clock rate.

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker