Cert virgin - need advice

Sumo2000Sumo2000 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know this is a little broad but I would like any and all advice from YOU the people who are in the field and have the experience.

I have no true work experience or education in this field. I have always been interested and love working with computers and have hated most other jobs that I have done. The only job that I enjoyed at all is as a part time computer trouble shooter for a small doctors office. It was basically helping friends get their comp systems a little more smoothed out, and they loved it. Hell, I did just about as much filing as working on their system.

I am not sure exactly where to start. I know I will need to work my way up in job experience and certs, so I dont expect to be rolling in dough within a few months. My only experience is in windows and I am pretty good at trouble shooting basic problems both software and hardware. I am basically interested in network administration... I think. Thats the problem, I dont have enough experience
to know exactly how or where to proceed.

I have decided that it is about **** time I got my rear in gear. Please help me with your advice as to what place is the best to start in. I am not asking you to tell me what to do but more what worked for you.

Thank you for anything and everything you have to say.

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    CompTIA's A+ is pretty much the definitive entry level cert. It goes into basic software/hardware troubleshooting and will provide a great foundation for you.

here's a link to their site with more info: http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx
    WIP: IPS exam
    You also might want to look into technical schools/community colleges near you to pick up some technology classes for cheap (not to mention its a great way to meet people with similar interests).
  • Sumo2000Sumo2000 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That was one of the ones that I was probable going to take first. I took a sample quiz at www.proprofs.com and passed it cold. I know that it is not going to be that simple to pass the real exam but gave me a little confidence. btw how much is that exam if you know off the top of your head? If you dont no biggie.
    I am 25 and have been to college off and on since 18. It was a local college and not a technical one so i am sure there is a difference but I think I learn better on my own. If thats what I need I will give the college try though.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have said A+ is a good place to start. But don't wait until you finish getting certified to start looking for an IT Job. Start looking right away, helpdesk/tech support is probably the place you will have to start. Once you finish your A+ I would recommend working toward MCSA. CCNA would be a good certification to work on also if you are interested in Networking but it is hard to get a job working on Cisco devices without any IT experience. Don't forget about Linux either. In my experience there are not as many people going that route compared to the Microsoft/Cisco route. The best thing to do is to work on what you enjoy doing, but you can't go wrong with Microsoft certs because every company uses it somewhere it is a good place to start after A+/Net+.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    Sumo2000 wrote:
    I learn better on my own. If thats what I need I will give the college try though.
    if you learn better on your own by all means stick with the self study, the schools were just another suggestion for learning not necessary to excel

to answer your other question the A+ takes two exams to pass (the essentials exam and one of these 220-602 (IT Technician) or 220-603 (Remote Support Technician) or 220-604 (Depot Technician) usually people choose the IT Technician one) and i think they are both around $125 though you can get vouchers for cheaper from different places.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep. You don't need school for certs. It's all about how you learn best. Classroom training is simply the best method for some people. I'm wrapping up a psych degree, but all my IT education is self-study. A+/Network+ are the typically starting points, but that could vary depending on your experience and current job.
    So A+, Network+ are good places to start. They are both entry and do not require previous certs. I could be mistaken but after a quick lookup it doesnt look like MSCA does either.

On the job front, would it be good to go for like a geek squad try deal or in a cubicle talking on the phone or just anything that deals with computers? Also is would it be better to go for a large company or a smaller or does really matter? Just curious.

And thanks guys this is very helpful. I dont really get to talk to anyone that has the experience that you all have. Im glad that I joined this forum today.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hahahhaha ahhahhahah ahahah
    bend over cert virgin! get ready it is going to hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ;)
    JK

hey this is a great forum! and a great place to start!
    justplaying! with ya!
    icon_lol.gif
    Sumo2000 wrote:
    So A+, Network+ are good places to start. They are both entry and do not require previous certs. I could be mistaken but after a quick lookup it doesnt look like MSCA does either.
    I would highly suggest going through the A+ and Network+ first to lay down a solid foundation before going into the MCSA/MCSE path mainly because you stated in your first post about having little education and/or IT job experience. Another idea to look into while studying for these certifications is finding an entry level job / internship / non-profit work to help build your skills (even something like geek squad would work), there's nothing better than hands on learning :D !
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi guys i'm also a Cert virgin except I have 4 years experience working in the I.T sector I started out at the bottom grinding away icon_lol.gif but I have done well in both interviews I have had due to knowledge I have, ( I beat guys to roles with certs and degrees)

I would consider my self a all rounder i'm not a programmer or web designer
    ( havent got the attention span)

But basic networking , configuring and tinkering and providing support to windows and Linux I can handle,

Although currently I am thinking of jumping into the deep end this year and going for the MCP i have looked at a variety of materials and feel pretty comfortable that I can fly though this with ease.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "