dual boot gone wrong windows/linux

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have my main desktop which has windows vista on it with 2 hard drives one 500gb which has vista and all my files on and a blank 160GB drive.

I was toying with the ides of buliding a linux box using the same kinda hardware that I have in my desktop because I have this empty 4U server case that could go in my rack and stay in the cuboard out the way.

Anyway I installed OpenSuse Linux onto the 160GB drive and now I can't boot back into windows icon_sad.gif the linux boot screen comes up and windows is in the list but when I select it nothing happens.

This bit I should not have done I know but it was a foolish mistake, I put my vista disk in and used the partition manager to erase the 160GB disk with linux on it.

Of cause now the BIOS is looking for the Linux OS and nothing is booting, gettting a kernal error message.

Anyone know what I should do? I would do a fresh install but I'd loss my saved game on Crysis :)
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If you're just wanting to get Vista back then boot off the dvd and open up a repair command prompt. bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /fixmbr, and you should be back in business.

If you're wanting to get openSUSE back then you're going to want to reinstall that (since you deleted it :) ) and then you'll need to modify grub so that it can load Windows. Add to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title "Microsoft Windows Vista"
    root (sd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

You may need to modify that according to your layout but that should get you started.

edit:
    corrected for proper vista commands
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    If you're just wanting to get Vista back then boot off the dvd and open up a repair command prompt. bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /fixmbr, and you should be back in business.

If you're wanting to get openSUSE back then you're going to want to reinstall that (since you deleted it :) ) and then you'll need to modify grub so that it can load Windows. Add to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title "Microsoft Windows Vista"
    root (sd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

You may need to modify that according to your layout but that should get you started.

edit:
    corrected for proper vista commands

What can I say man MAgic :) back to Cysis
    What's another word for Thesaurus?