Options

If you were an employer? MCSA/CCNA

If you were an employer who would you rather hire? A tech with MCSA or CCNA? I'm on the fence and don't know which way to fall. icon_exclaim.gif

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    A MCSA is completly different from a CCNA. CCNA have more knowledge with cisco router switches and pix for example. While a MCSA has Microsoft Windows and Server Experience.
    A MCSA really does not have the knowledge on how to operate cisco equipnment if they have not had training or been certified in it.

Also all depends on which path you want to work with. Having the AD experience would go great with a CCNA. It would make you more versed in your field.

So it would all depend on what the company is hiring for.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you need to do a bit more research in regards to these certifications. Getting paid more is not what it amounts to. Some MCSAs make more than CCNAs and vice versa. As ULWiz stated, and was stated in the similar thread you created, these certifications are for quite different roles. You need to figure out what you want to do and pursue that. If one was simply better than the other, everyone would do that one.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's always good to start with MCSA since CCNA has more advnaced topic etc. before you move on advanced topic such as CCNA, I suggest learning what are they being used for and to do that you have to study client/server relation which is MCSA.

It would also be good to take them both, since CCNA will explain advanced networking, as well you'll understand how VLAN works more in depth with CCNA.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As ULWiz mentioned, it depends on the job. In a NOC, where the primary type of work you're doing is configuring routers, switches, and firewalls, a CCNA is very attractive. In a systems administrator position, where you're managing servers, an MCSA (or MCSE) would be the preferred candidate. This question is relative, as is the question of who gets paid more. You'll get paid well as a CCNA if you're a network engineer, and you'll get paid well as an MCSA if you're a systems adminsitrator.

You need to ask yourself what you want to do, as many told you in this thread, and which end of the spectrum interests you more. If you enjoy routing & switching, go the Cisco route, (or the Juniper route), if you enjoy Windows administration then go for the Microsoft certifications, or if you like the prospect of Linux/Unix, then there are lots of choices: like the certifications from Red Hat, Sun, and the Linux Professional Institute.

There really is no general, all-encompassing "which is better" argument, not for certifications and not for technologies. As I've mentioned before, the comparisons don't really hold. It all depends on your situation.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll do both then!
    Good call! :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    I'll do both then!
    Good call! :D

+1

But do MCSA first always take the baby step before walking or running, otherwise your in a world of confusious...

It also can depend on your background, but I would say MCSA will be the easier compared to CCNA, since this will explain how client works and how basic networking works etc.

just my two cents...
  • Options
    remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do not know if MCSA is a baby step to the CCNA. If anything Network+ or CCENT is a baby step towards CCNA. I feel as though MCSA is very different than CCNA. MCSA is great for a system administrator within a Windows environment. The CCNA is great for a network administrator within Cisco environment. Though I do have to admit the MCSA can be seen as relevant within non Windows environments, it can also be said about the CCNA being helpful in a non Cisco network.

What are you interested in more? That is what this all comes down to. What do you have more past experience in?
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I agree with the folks who say do both. I did my CCNA first and I am one test away from the MCSA. Pretty much anywhere you go in the world you will have two things, Windows servers and Cisco routers/switches. I have worked on network projects that involve me having to work on servers and find my 70-290 knowledge helpful. Not saying that it doesn't exist, but I don't know any network admins/engineers who never touch a windows server.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you were an employer who would you rather hire? A tech with MCSA or CCNA? I'm on the fence and don't know which way to fall. icon_exclaim.gif

From your other posts I have seen it seems to me you are trying to justify doing the CCNA by others on this forum telling you to go for it because it is the better route to go. I am going to tell you to work on whatever interests you the most. Keep these things in mind though. Neither CCNA or MCSA are considered entry level certifications in my opinion. Most people who enter IT with no experience start out doing helpdesk or desktop support so the MCSA could be more beneficial in that case. True a lot of companies use cisco equipment but probably every company uses Microsoft at least on the desktop. Someone with just a CCNA (and no experience) will probably have a hard time finding a job configuring cisco devices, that usually comes with experience. Not saying it is not possible just it seems difficult to do with all the competition at least in my area. CCNA is more well know then MCSA, do a search on dice.com most other job boards for the different certifications and you will see what I mean. CCNA does give you a good solid foundation for networking so it could be a benefit in all network admin jobs not just ones that involve cisco equipment. Just some food for thought. Doing both would be good but you still have to decide which one first. And remember experience is king in this industry certs will only get you so far. Good luck on what you decide.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2