Network+ Noob

CapitaliconCapitalicon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I'm new around here, I've been trolling the last few days and have learned a lot just by reading posts. Anyways, I passed the A+ exams in Jan and now I am doing self study for the Net+ and I'm having a lot of trouble grasping the concepts. I've been using the Sybex study guide and seem to find the writing style to be boring. To top it off the study cd that came with my book is blank, so that means no practice test etc. The situation is kind of frustrating me, but I'm not going to quit it's not my style. Thanks for letting me vent and I look forward to interacting with all of you on these great forums. :D

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome to the sight. There is a lot of info to grasp on this cert. From experience of taking the test and knowing what it is like I would give you this advice. Learn the following network cable types, toplogies, cable length, cable speed, wireless, osi model, well known ports, connnectors, cmd's and their switches, know what ifconfig does, and learn the protocals needed for connecting windows clients to netware servers, learn backup types which you should know from the a+ and thats about all I can remember from the test. The problem with this test imo is that alot of it is memorizing things. Which in a way is good i guess but you forget alot of that stuff over time. memorizing ports and osi model is good but i like the in depth hands on stuff that requires you to put knowledge and skill level to the test. Hope that helps you in your studies. I used quickcert traing videos and my knowledge of networking and hands on experince to pass this test.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hi all,
    I'm new around here, I've been trolling the last few days and have learned a lot just by reading posts. Anyways, I passed the A+ exams in Jan and now I am doing self study for the Net+ and I'm having a lot of trouble grasping the concepts. I've been using the Sybex study guide and seem to find the writing style to be boring. To top it off the study cd that came with my book is blank, so that means no practice test etc. The situation is kind of frustrating me, but I'm not going to quit it's not my style. Thanks for letting me vent and I look forward to interacting with all of you on these great forums. :D

Well, I'm sorry the Sybex book is boring you. I found the book very easy to read. Perhaps you need more experience before tackling this exam?? This exam, like A+, is geared toward a candidate WITH experience. Learning from practice exams isn't the way to prepare for an exam IMO, so if you are unable to find any value in the review questions in the chapters...the vendor specific exams are going to likely be a nightmare for you.

What are your goals for your career? Perhaps IT isn't where you need to be, but perhaps sales of some sort....ie. selling the technology...VoIP, Hardware, Custom programs etc..??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    Hi all,

Hi,

I too just recently sat the A+ which I found refreshing. I'd been in the IT field back home and found the A+ the best way to get back on the horse over here in the US. I'm planing on sitting the N+ in the coming weeks. I haven't used sybex so I can't comment there but I've used Mike Myers All In One Network+ Certification (3rd Ed) book which so far is very easy to understand and follow. Although I should mention that if you don't have much or any networking experience it may be an idea to get some by any means possible.

You could always setup a couple of VM's to murder icon_lol.gif get a fairly basic router (if you don't already have one) set it up, setup another machine. Buy some CAT5 and some tools, test out your crimping! make a couple of patch cables/cross over cables.. etc. Take your time read over it and understand it. Understand what happens with computer A talks to computer B e.g. when sending a file for example.. the protocols used the layers of the OSI the process moves through to create the session, package and send the information and of course display that information on screen!

Hang in there read it, do it and understand it.. if need be get the experience you need it to pass then go for it. It isn't a race, better going in prepared!

Good Luck! :D
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Capitalicon,

Network+ is not as easy or as entry level as it's pitched, and study guides really don't have what you need to know to pass most cert tests. It takes a lot more.

What's your background other than A+?

Anyhow, Cisco CCENT might be a better idea. Network+ is a little too esoteric for just starting out. If you are on the other hand going through with it (I don't recommend it) You will need good references for Novell, Apple, NT4, 2000 and Linux. So that is a LOT of work.

www.vtc.com is also pretty good for some of this...
    -Daniel