Options

How important is a suit for interviews?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I have my second interview for an IT job next week and I was curious if I should try to buy a suit for it. The first interview was at a job recruiter / temp job employer and the women that interviewed me told me to get a suit for future interviews from their clients.

Would the suit really make or break the interview? Money is really tight for me right now and I don't think I can afford a suit + some work cloths that I would need to buy. I know its important to make a good impression but it takes money to do so. It isn't like I would be going in street cloths though, I have polo shirts and pants to go with them but I would need more of them if I'm going to be working full time.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If money is tight maybe you can borrow a suit? Otherwise pants,jacket,shirt & tie should do the trick.Dont wear a polo shirt to the interview.You must look presentable, you need to show the interviewer you can dress up when required.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It depends on the company, but unless you know ahead of time what the dress code is at the company - i.e., they hate "suits" and all they represent - its always best to wear one. No one expects you to show up in an Armani or Boss suit for an IT position, but you should be able to pick something up at one of those Men's Warehouse type places (sorry I'm from Canada and always see adds for those places on the US TV stations - you wouldn't know any of our "cheap menswear" stores) for $200-300. If it's your only suit I would stick with charcoal or navy (don't go crazy on the pinstripes here). It's considered appropriate in all industries (including banking - they are very conservative). Add two white or blue button down shirts, a basic tie (nothing flashy/silly), dress belt, a pair of dress shoes and your set.

You may show up to the interview wearing a suit, get the job and be told to wear khakis and a shirt from then on... but you got the job. :)

A suit, especially one you only need to bring out for situations like this should last for many years - just don't go for something "trendy". Trendy is cool either when you wear a suit everyday or you have a clothing allowance (does anyone even get these anymore?). Think of it as an investment in yourself and in your future career path.

My 2c

Edit: If you're trying to get an entry level position you can probably skip the suit, go with a dress shirt, wool pants, dress shoes and a tie. Put the tie on before you get to the interview, if when you get there no one else in the building is wearing one you can always slip it off.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would always go on the assumption to where a suit. if you have one, wear it. or borrow one or even pick up a rental. but the bare minimum i would wear is smart trousers,shirt/tie.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    There is nothing negative that can come from looking really sharp.

There are a number of bad things that can come from looking like a slob.

Wear a suit, if money is tight, borrow one.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Put the tie on before you get to the interview, if when you get there no one else in the building is wearing one you can always slip it off.

icon_lol.gif What about pulling off the suit if no one is wearing one? You're funny dude!
    Its true that they will be no loss of points even if you over dress, but a poor dressing can cost you the job even if you were the right person for it.
    Make it simple but descent if on a tight budget.
  • Options
    Some people feel really awkward when wearing a tie. If no one else is wearing one you can slip it off if it will help you relax. It's always easier to take something off - try putting on a tie while waiting at reception, they'll be talking about you for days - and not in a positive way! :)

As for pulling off the suit - why bother, as nel said "there is nothing negative that can come from looking really sharp".
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Talic wrote:
    the women that interviewed me told me to get a suit for future interviews from their clients.
    If you don't plan to work for that recruiter/agency -- then don't get a suit.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At a minimum, get a blazer and a tie to go with what you already have. Borrow something, rent something, go to the local bargain/used clothing store and find something. Clothing stores are running specials on this stuff all the time. Economy sucks today.

Sometimes it CAN make the difference. You will never be turned down for dressing for the occasion.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would wear a suit especially if they told you to. Like Mike said if you don't plan on working for them then don't get one.

I always wear a suit when I go to an interview. My current positions dress code is very relaxed when in the office, jeans and polos, (nicer when you go on client sites of course) but I still wore a suit because first impressions are important, especially if you are trying to get this person to hire you. The suit I have I bought for about $200 and with shoes, shirt and tie it was all around $300. Its worth it to land the job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Yes it can make or break an interview. Not wearing one says you either don't know how to prepare for an interview or are were too lazy to prepare for the interview. Either way if you can't get that right an employer might question what else you would do half way if you worked for them. You don't have to buy an expensive suit from a retailer. Besides possibly borrowing one there are also shops that sell gently used second hand clothing. You can find some great deals out there if you shop around.

As was previously said, go with black, dark gray, or navy blue and a white or light blue long sleeve dress shirt. Also wear a white undershirt if you can see through the white dress shirt. Black polished dress shoes and matching belt. This is important for senior positions but I think it is just as important for entry level positions too. Your competitors might be less likely to show up with a suit on and if you do then it gives you an edge.

When it comes to interviews always remember the saying "you never get a second chance to make a first impression".
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Suit is required.

If you tried to interview without one you would probably find a better job than most to be honest. It would just take your 15 times longer to get a job.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Just find a way to get a suit honestly you have to make a good first impression to them...I look it as when you go into a company for an interview you're trying to show them why you'd be a good fit for the position, and dressing nicely will just help that even more. I never understood why people wouldn't wear a suit to an interview.
  • Options
    nato76nato76 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went on 3 interviews the last 2 months. I only wore a suit to one of the interviews. I ended up getting the job where I wore a suit. Coincidence? Maybe, but why risk the chance of not getting the job. Just wear a suit.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    I have my second interview for an IT job next week and I was curious if I should try to buy a suit for it. The first interview was at a job recruiter / temp job employer and the women that interviewed me told me to get a suit for future interviews from their clients.

Would the suit really make or break the interview? Money is really tight for me right now and I don't think I can afford a suit + some work cloths that I would need to buy. I know its important to make a good impression but it takes money to do so. It isn't like I would be going in street cloths though, I have polo shirts and pants to go with them but I would need more of them if I'm going to be working full time.

Definitley go with a Suit and tie/dress shoes. You can get a nice suit and a place like JCPenney's for $150 usually. If money is really tight you can get a cheap suit at Target (and probably Walmart) for $80. I have seen them there, or you could even check with Goodwill or something similar. Worst case you could always borrow one, surely you have a friend or family member that has a suit you could use for an interview.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Dressy shoes, good pants and a dress shirt should be the minimum. A tie would be nice. A coat would be a great addition. But at least go with the dress shoes, dress pants and dress shirt. Of course it depends upon the employer what they would look for. I would recommend if you ever have a phone interview and they decide they want to bring you in for an in person then you should ask what is the dress attire around there. Try to dress just one step better than what they say. That way you won't be overdressed for the occasion but you'll still stand out.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    undomiel wrote:
    Dressy shoes, good pants and a dress shirt should be the minimum. A tie would be nice. A coat would be a great addition. But at least go with the dress shoes, dress pants and dress shirt. Of course it depends upon the employer what they would look for. I would recommend if you ever have a phone interview and they decide they want to bring you in for an in person then you should ask what is the dress attire around there. Try to dress just one step better than what they say. That way you won't be overdressed for the occasion but you'll still stand out.

I disagree with this. I don't think wearing a suit to an interview is ever over dressing, not for an IT job anyway. You want to look like you took the time and effort to present a professional appearance. If I where interviewing an individual I would be a lot more interested in hiring if they wore a suit. It wouldn't be the only thing I would look at, but it would definitely have weight.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Don't even bother going on an interview with out a suit in this field I don't even care if the person interviewing you has on a T-Shirt and Jeans. If you don't have a suit and can't afford mens wearhouse go to Walmart Target Marshalls or Burlington Coat factory. If you have a Sims by you they have cheap suits as well. You only need 1 suit to interview in (1 CLEAN suit i should say) the job I have requires a suit and once I got the job, not before I told the boss it would take me a while to buy some more suits and they understood, but for the Interview IT IS MANDATORY TO WEAR A SUIT!
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would always wear a suit and nothing less! I lived in the states for 5 years and it's the same as the UK. You would be expected to wear one, if you want to stand a chance... any suit will do as long as it's pressed and clean, that's the main thing presentable...
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    undomiel wrote:

I disagree with this. I don't think wearing a suit to an interview is ever over dressing, not for an IT job anyway. You want to look like you took the time and effort to present a professional appearance. If I where interviewing an individual I would be a lot more interested in hiring if they wore a suit. It wouldn't be the only thing I would look at, but it would definitely have weight.

I agree. I would wear a suit even if I was interviewing to be a janitor. And if I were interviewing someone that showed up without a suit chances are it would cost them the job. Remember you are competing against other qualified applicants so you need to use every tool at your disposal to stand out in a good way and your dress is a big part of that. When the interviewer first sees you and greets you in a suit with a smile and a firm handshake you want their impression to be "Wow! This guy is really polished and knows how to present himself in a business setting."
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think it's possible to overdress for an interview unless you did something like wearing black tie formalwear to a McDonalds interview or something like that.

Just one old timer thinking a suit is a reflection on your seriousness/professionalism is all it takes to ruin your day.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Ok, the reasoning behind my madness: at several IT job interviews I showed up dressed to for the best. Everyone else at the job was in t-shirt and jeans. They were uncomfortable interviewing me so it made things more difficult for a nice smooth interview. I got the impression that they were feeling a bit looked down on. Didn't get any of those jobs. Current company I'm at, I found out the dress code (t-shirts & jeans again) so I just did business casual. The interview went a whole lot more smoothly and I got the job.

Now if things are unknown or you're unsure then always err on the side of dressing your best. It is still better to be overdressed than underdressed. But if you know what you are going in to then you can make a more informed decision.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    D-boy wrote:
    pressed and clean
    This is the most important thing to remember
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Ok, the reasoning behind my madness: at several IT job interviews I showed up dressed to for the best. Everyone else at the job was in t-shirt and jeans. They were uncomfortable interviewing me so it made things more difficult for a nice smooth interview. I got the impression that they were feeling a bit looked down on. Didn't get any of those jobs. Current company I'm at, I found out the dress code (t-shirts & jeans again) so I just did business casual. The interview went a whole lot more smoothly and I got the job.

Now if things are unknown or you're unsure then always err on the side of dressing your best. It is still better to be overdressed than underdressed. But if you know what you are going in to then you can make a more informed decision.

AZ is one of the "business casual" capitols of the world. Polo, slacks, and non-tennis shoes are the norm around here. The only people that I see wear suits here are lawyers and morticians. Being in the construction industry, having to wear a tie to work everyday where I meet clients/vendors in jeans and a polo makes me feel like a giant knob; and they let me know about it :) . HOWEVER, its always better safe than sorry. When it doubt dress it up!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Alright I'll look into getting one. The interview is at a lawyer thats about two blocks from where I live, so I would really like to get this job since its within walking / biking distance. I saw some 50% off suits at Men's Warehouse yesterday so I'll go check it out. This job didn't come from the recruiter, I saw it in the newspaper, just the recruiter gave me a heads up when they called me for a interview for this job.

Think they'll want me to wear a suit all the time at a lawyer office? From their name, it sounds like theres a bunch of them at this office.

Also this is Las Vegas, we're pretty close to close to AZ in terms of weather but I don't know if we're the same way with the "business casual" thing. Sounds like its best to be safe then sorry at a lawyer office so a suit would be the best way to go, lawyers are usually well dressed, right?

It'd be nice to get my first IT job at a lawyers office so close to where I live, any other IT job in this city seems to be across town.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Talic wrote:
    It'd be nice to get my first IT job at a lawyers office so close to where I live, any other IT job in this city seems to be across town.
    I would definitely dress up if it's a lawyer
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    lawyers and finance are some of the most conservative industries.

As for the color some people have suggested black. Don't buy a black suit. Stick with charcoal or dark navy, very fine pinstriping is okay, but it should appear solid from 10-15 feet. A lot of young people think when they buy their first suit it should be black, but that is common mistake. Even people who wear a suit everyday don't usually have a true black one - people think you need a black one so you can also wear it to a "black tie" event - but really you should rent a tux for those. Google it if you don't believe me, there are a zillion posts about it.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    This is a law firm definitely get a suit. Have you looked into Goodwill or the Salvation Army. You'd be suprised what you might find. Better yet, borrow one from a friend if you know someone around the same size.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    Alright I'll look into getting one. The interview is at a lawyer thats about two blocks from where I live, so I would really like to get this job since its within walking / biking distance. I saw some 50% off suits at Men's Warehouse yesterday so I'll go check it out. This job didn't come from the recruiter, I saw it in the newspaper, just the recruiter gave me a heads up when they called me for a interview for this job.

Think they'll want me to wear a suit all the time at a lawyer office? From their name, it sounds like theres a bunch of them at this office.

Also this is Las Vegas, we're pretty close to close to AZ in terms of weather but I don't know if we're the same way with the "business casual" thing. Sounds like its best to be safe then sorry at a lawyer office so a suit would be the best way to go, lawyers are usually well dressed, right?

Id say vegas is the exception to the rule, since you are a world wide known city; and image is pretty much everything there.

Like I said before, 'lawyers and morticians'. :) Suit up, and press your shirt too. Don't forget the collar tabs either. Nothing worse than a nice pressed shirt with a messy collar. Your tie tip should be close to your belt buckle (i prefer it touches the buckle). Socks should match the pant color. Shoe and belt color should match. Ties shouldn't be too "bold". If you can make it seemingly match your outfit, then you're fine. If you need to learn how to tie a tie, Google 'how to tie a tie'. Sounds lame, but I found it helpful back in the day.

oh yea, one more thing. All your buttons on your shirt should be buttoned up and tie tightened to your neck comfortably. Don't pull the top button in the interview.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    My brother owns his own law firm so I asked his opinion as you are interviewing with a law firm. His response was that he'd hire someone that applied for a receptionist position if they showed up dressed nice but business casual, anyone else would need to be wearing a suit. Suits are a major part of the image of a law firm and you'd have to show him that you understand that and can work within those parameters.

He makes the same recommendations as have already been noted regarding the type and cost of a suit for the interview. But added that the key is find one that fits well and is in good shape. Make sure it's cleaned and pressed.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□