Options

why isn't this CCVP forum as active as the other forums?

mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
Isn't there a whole lot of cisco implementations in the world?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The world, yes. This site, no.

This section hasn't been very active since I have been here. I don't think there are as many people studying for the CCVP due to the difficulty of obtaining equipment compared to the CCNP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my guess is there isnt as many posts relative to the other forums
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote:
    hedhrts wrote:
    Seems pretty quite here compared to the CCNA forum.
    Well of course it is -- we all use our internet connections and just chat on our IP Phones all day.... I'm hosting 2 conference calls right now and have 3 others conversations on IP Speaker Phones. I just upgraded my DSL connection, so I'll be bringing our Battlestar Galactica Beer and Pizza Friday Video Conference back online soon.
    Why study this stuff if you don't use it?

Oh... wait. Nevermind. I didn't read the rest of that post....
    mikej412 wrote:
    Ha Ha.... just kidding. icon_lol.gif

Actually, the CCVP is one of the newest Professional Level Certifications. The equipment is expensive if you plan to actually LEARN the material.

Most people will probably go through the CCNA and CCNP before they consider the CCVP. Once they are working as a CCNP, then they probably can afford to fund their home CCVP lab.

But, based on our recent CCVP job interviews, I'd guess most people trying to jump on the CCVP Salary Gravy Train are dumping their certification. Of course we didin't hire any of them and I'm not sure if any of them ever found jobs elsewhere (based on the # of callbacks we've gotten asking about other open positions).

Plus it is a professional level certification with lots of documentation available on the Cisco web site. And there are lots of sample configurations, and even entire plans for deploying IP Communcations.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mysql1988 wrote:
    Isn't there a whole lot of cisco implementations in the world?

CCVP is popular enough but I think has reached critical mass. It's a timeconsuming cert like many others people want to do, and entry level jobs in voice hard to obtain as opposed to other tracks. While a few people on here are actively involved in obtaining CCVP, most people on this site are focusing on other core areas.
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Less is more... icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

If we are flooded as CCNA forum, the CCVP compensation level will nosediiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess I should mention that traffic has picked up lately.

The CCVP forum has passed the CCSP and CCIE forums in number of threads -- and that's based mostly on recent activity.

I posted the CCNP, CCSP, and CCVP FAQs around the same time -- and the CCVP FAQ is getting more hits than the CCSP FAQ. And for a while it was keeping up with CCNP FAQ -- but that could have been just one person accessing the FAQ to look for doc links as they are studying :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Ya I probably have added to inflating that number.. icon_rolleyes.gif

But I would say that really TE in general isn't a voip forums place... Granted they have very qualified people here and that the community in a whole is very diverse. It is still primarily a very entry level community that post's a lot... Now you have very qualified people here and i am not discounting any one's knowledge base at all, I am just saying that there are a lot of basic questions that are asked continuously. Creating the perception that the forums are active. I personally joined just for the CCVP and CCIE part after reading a few of the post's by people like Mike just because there answers were very in depth and precise.
    Not saying that doesn't mean that TE can't contribute to you getting your CCVP or any other cert it is just this is not the main objective of most of these people.. hence they don't post a lot.

my 2cents
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    Ya I probably have added to inflating that number.. icon_rolleyes.gif

But I would say that really TE in general isn't a voip forums place... Granted they have very qualified people here and that the community in a whole is very diverse. It is still primarily a very entry level community that post's a lot... Now you have very qualified people here and i am not discounting any one's knowledge base at all, I am just saying that there are a lot of basic questions that are asked continuously. Creating the perception that the forums are active. I personally joined just for the CCVP and CCIE part after reading a few of the post's by people like Mike just because there answers were very in depth and precise.
    Not saying that doesn't mean that TE can't contribute to you getting your CCVP or any other cert it is just this is not the main objective of most of these people.. hence they don't post a lot.

my 2cents

All very good points.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently earned my CCNP and I worked for the phone company for around five years so I feel that the CCVP is a good logical progression for my career. I think that many people don't venture into voice because it deviates greatly from typical R&S. It's very hard to replicate the technology without a lab or previous hands-on experience so many people either don't get into it.

That's fine though. From what I understand, the CCVP is in decently high-demand and it'll stay that way the fewer people have it. I'd say I'm mid-way through the QoS exam blueprint right now.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Along those lines (Lucky's post), I think that people simply learn how to study and become able to find the answers for themselves after they reach the professional and expert levels. Once people acquaint themselves with things like the Cisco docs, Technet, and even Google, their dependency on others drops significantly. Also, I suspect that the majority of people never move on beyond the beginner/entry level, so there is simply a far greater number of people at those levels as well.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Along those lines (Lucky's post), I think that people simply learn how to study and become able to find the answers for themselves after they reach the professional and expert levels. Once people acquaint themselves with things like the Cisco docs, Technet, and even Google, their dependency on others drops significantly. Also, I suspect that the majority of people never move on beyond the beginner/entry level, so there is simply a far greater number of people at those levels as well.

That's true as well. Once your boots are full with experience and you have had an opportunity to burn in that CCNP or similar qualification with real world situations, it's often just a small diversion to contribute effectively to something covered in another track.
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    dynamik wrote:
    I suspect that the majority of people never move on beyond the beginner/entry level, so there is simply a far greater number of people at those levels as well.

I think this is a very sad reality.

My favorite thing is to have some one new come into the company and try and help them think for them selves. I really hate people that say give me the book of answers or just cant think for them selves on any level. But I guess every industry has there entry level people, I just hate to see people not want more for them selves when it is so easy to obtain..

I mean what other industry are you able to control how fast you go up the ladder??? I mean really a lot of the other professions you have to put in your time before you are respected... With us it is all up to how hard you are willing to work and how fast you can learn...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree Luckycharms. I can't understand why people would want to stay at the bottom of the ladder their whole career. Its ok though, more room at the top for us!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    I also think that far more people go after the CCNP than a newer cert like the CCVP. And let's face it, learning the CCVP technologies after leaving the CCNA isn't a cakewalk.

Also, yesterday I was talking with some folks who work for *ahem* an IT placement agency, and I asked them if they got many people applying who had a CCVP, and the guy told me he had only dealt with one individual who had one. He said it may be that his company doesn't deal with many businesses who have a need for them, or it may also be that there aren't that many people out there who have the cert, as compared to CCNPs or MCSEs or whatever.

I'd hate to get my CCVP and then find out that there aren't that many companies looking for the cert/experience.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949