Streaming or watching media through xbox 360?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if anyone watches video's through there 360? I have alot of media content on an external drive - music, family vids, pics etc and are looking for an multimedia system. Preferably i dont want to speed £200+ on another piece of kit to sit next to the TV and i know the 360 can stream from a media centre PC (which i dont have).

Now i was wondering if anyone know if you can hook up the external drive to the 360 and play all of the content directly from the HDD without the aid of a pc?.

Ive noticed there are things like XBMC and VME etc. Has anyone used these are have any suggestions for what i need?

Cheers
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Sadly i do lol! But was hoping to be able to do it without a pc if possible.

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik, are you a search engine icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Thanks for the link mate. i already have an external drive and was hoping to plug it in directly as in the pic on the link. but i was more interested in soloutions which allow you to view media on the hdd using a 360? similar to media centre or apple TV but directly on the 360 and not having to stream it from a pc?

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All you have to do is go to media and select device. There's no special software; it's all built into the dashboard. You can also do things like listen to non-drm tracks off your ipod as well. Just plug it in and go!

I only posted that link to make sure you aware of the partitioning/formatting requirements because I hit that snag when I set this up myself.

Networker: It's just easy to provide info when I've done these tasks before. I think it's just a coincidence that my interests align so closely with others here. I wish I was a search engine though; I'd probably make a killing with AdWords!
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    +1 for streaming to Xbox... I actually have a computer that is all it does is collect/transcode(if-needed)/Stream... I found I like the WindowsMediaPlayer 11 route la ot better then some of the ways of sending the stream.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    All you have to do is go to media and select device. There's no special software; it's all built into the dashboard. You can also do things like listen to non-drm tracks off your ipod as well. Just plug it in and go!

I only posted that link to make sure you aware of the partitioning/formatting requirements because I hit that snag when I set this up myself.

Networker: It's just easy to provide info when I've done these tasks before. I think it's just a coincidence that my interests align so closely with others here. I wish I was a search engine though; I'd probably make a killing with AdWords!

yea I streamed from my PC cause I have the stereo downstairs and all the music upstairs. It works VERY well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security