trend micro vs. SAV for office use

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
Which one do you think is best? We have been using SAV but are wanting to go away and have been pushed in the direction of trend micro.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    That's the way to go. Forget Trend or anything else.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never had any problems with Trend. It works well on terminal servers and I've had it deployed in environments up to about 3500 clients.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Symantec's new Endpoint Protection 11 is certainly more robust, but reviews have been mixed in the trenches when it comes to stability and utilization of resources. When it works as advertised, it's a lot less of a hog than the older SAV versions.

Trend is a very good product that seems like it is easier to manage and out of the box it seems a lot more stable that symantec.

I've never used nod32.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    All this talk of Trend Micro reminded me I have certs from them - profile updated. Thanks. :)
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I wouldn't mind going to NOD32. But we have to go something that is desigend for small businnss servers. The reason why we are looing at Trend is they have anti-spam bulit to there small business suite.
    Yeah the "Worry-Free Business Security Advanced" or whatever they call "Client Server Messaging Security Suite" this month (man do they ever suck at naming products) is a really good, nicely integrated product.

Especially in a small business environment having everything pulled together in one interface with reporting and such is a big time saver (and much less of a learning curve). The price is quite reasonable too (well depending on your reseller ;))
    macdude wrote:
    I wouldn't mind going to NOD32. But we have to go something that is desigend for small businnss servers. The reason why we are looing at Trend is they have anti-spam bulit to there small business suite.

The business edition doesn't do what you need it to? How does it fall short?

http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/index.php#smartsecurity_business
    astorrs wrote:
    All this talk of Trend Micro reminded me I have certs from them - profile updated. Thanks. :)

And don't listen to astorrs. He's clearly just a shill icon_lol.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We are licensed for Symantec 11 and I'm fighting to keep it off the systems. During testing it was even more of a resource hog than it's predecessor and about as (un)reliable. I tested Sophos and it seemed much better, performance was definitely light years ahead of SAV, we didn't move to it as we were acquired by another company who are tied into SAV until 2010 (and they are about as happy with it as I am). Sorry but I haven't used TrendMicro, just offering another alternative
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    dynamik wrote:
    And don't listen to astorrs. He's clearly just a shill icon_lol.gif
    Dynamik's louche way of pimping NOD32 above everything else shows he probably owns shares in ESET and just wants you to increase his shareholder value by upping their sales. :P

That said, the NOD32 Small Business Server bundle (includes Exchange Server support for 50% off) does look reasonable - about the same price as TM too; although from what I can tell it's not as integrated a solution (maybe someone else can speak to this).
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm in a situation where I don't have a choice about deploying SAV/SEP 11 this year. There's a lot of information on symantec forums on the correct settings to make the product not be a hog, and the latest MR is supposed to fix most but not all of the problems. It does seem like the first release of it was beta quality at best.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where I work we use Symantec, but due to its ever growing footprint we are switching to something else. For the life of me I can't understand why Symantec needs to bring machines to a crawl when the computer has over a gig of RAM.
    I can say from experience about Endpoint, we have deployed every version of it out at our clients and no version is good. Any of our servers that was running an old version would have to have hardware upgrades just to get endpoint running good not great but good. We had to acutllaly go back to some clients and put the old version of SAV on some clients.

dynamik,

Does NOD32 do anti-spam for exchange servers? Symantecs Mail Security for Exchange was great, but if we move away from that the product that we use has to have Anti-spam for Exchange and trend micro does.

Once again though, I don't have a computer at work to test this products. He basically wants deploy blindly at a client site. I guess no guts no glory.
    icon_sad.gif
    dynamik,

I will bring that up to my boss. But it's not an all one solution for small business servers I have a feeling he will reject it.

And if i have to deploy this at a client with out proper testing, I want something I can push out from one interface.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I work for a Symantec partner, and I have to say Symantec AV products are god awful. The Symantec Endpoint Security has been a nightmare. Causes crashing, performance problems, it's just horrid. Somehow, they took a not so great product and made it worse.

Trend works pretty well from my experience. Microsoft Forefront works well, too.
    Good luck to all!
    macdude, I really don't care one way or another. I'm not trying to push it on you or anything.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you need it to do, and how does it fall short of your needs?
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Symantec pisses me off. SEP11 is a huge resource hog, and there are a few buggy versions of 10.1. Liveupdate never works for me in some instances (i.e. backupexec). Symantec is expensive and their tech support is in India.
    dynamik,

The way it looks is that NOD32 has its standalone AV and standalone Anti-spam. My boss wants an all-in-one solution But I have tested it before and like it.

Symantec tech support is one reason we are looking at going away. We kept having the problems with SEP11 and they said keep going up to the latest update it. and more problems kept coming with
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOD32 has a centrally managed administrative console. Just the same as with any of the AV/AS products I've worked with in the past. If anyone wants to see screenshots or take a look at anything else, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send some stuff over.

We switched over to NOD32 right at three months ago for our corporate solution but have been using it for various odds and ends for quite some time. We purchased everything they offer and so far, we have been more than satisfied.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love Nod32. I've only used their desktop product though.
    astorrs wrote:

Aren't those open book exams? Some of the guys in my office told me about the Trend exams, I signed up, saw they were open book, and didn't bother. Just curious if all the Trend exams are like that.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Yes they are useless in that sense, but counted towards partner status or something a while back (I think you have to be a partner to take them too). I didn't need to go open book on them as the questions are all pretty basic if you've used the product for a few years.

Hence why I forgot I even had them. :)