Options

finding work experience

hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
hi all,

ive just finished university for the summer and was thinking about finding some IT work experience until i go back in september. Ive completed ccna 1 and ccna 2 of the cisco network academy.

Just wondered if anyone has found some experience in the networking field and how they went about finding it

thanks

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was on a email list at the university I attended that posted internship opportunities. My first job was through a contact I made there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    hodgey87 wrote:
    hi all,

ive just finished university for the summer and was thinking about finding some IT work experience until i go back in september. Ive completed ccna 1 and ccna 2 of the cisco network academy.

Just wondered if anyone has found some experience in the networking field and how they went about finding it

thanks

Look for an internship around town. Ask one of your teachers for some leads on that; they can be particularly helpful. You might also want to volunteer your time with an IT business in order to get some experience. It's doubtful that you'll find real employment with no experience, particularly without a cert (as if that counted for much anyway). You'll be looking for a long time before you find a paying networking job ad saying "will train" or "no experience necessary." Maybe in years past, but those days have vaporized. A pity I didn't discover networking in 2000 or so. Or buy stock in Google in '04. Or buy business.com in '93.....
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your school may have a career center that posts internships as well. I found these to be very helpful when i got my first internship.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll be looking for a long time before you find a paying networking job ad saying "will train" or "no experience necessary.

This is why internships are crucial. This is they #1 thing I can recommend you can do for yourself while you are in school
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    gojericho0 wrote:
    You'll be looking for a long time before you find a paying networking job ad saying "will train" or "no experience necessary.

This is why internships are crucial. This is they #1 thing I can recommend you can do for yourself while you are in school

This is true. And it's why if you already have a family and can't afford to work for free (i.e. "internship), you're screwed.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    gojericho0 wrote:

This is true. And it's why if you already have a family and can't afford to work for free (i.e. "internship), you're screwed.

I know of many high paying internships ranging anywhere from 12/hour to 19/hour, so you really aren't screwed so to say crunchy. I worked a part time job for 8/hr and served at a restaurant, plus went to school full time. I was starting a family at that point as well, once I gained about a year I started at another place doing desktop work and was promoted to doing sys admin work. Then I graduated and landed the job I have now, I know you want to work with voice but maybe desktop support will have to be your starting point.