Options

CCNP lab

mkomonmkomon Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've got access to a NetAcad lab with a mix of 2801/2811 routers and 2950/2960 switches, in total it is 10+10 R/S devices.

What would you recommend to add to make it a suitable lab for CCNP prep and why?

Thank you for your ideas.

Martin

Comments

• Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mkomon wrote:
    Hi,

I've got access to a NetAcad lab with a mix of 2801/2811 routers and 2950/2960 switches, in total it is 10+10 R/S devices.

What would you recommend to add to make it a suitable lab for CCNP prep and why?

Thank you for your ideas.

Martin

mkomon,

Which "NetAcad" course are you currently enrolled in?
  • Options
    I've done CCNA 1-4, I'm supposed to finish CCNA#4 this week and then I plan to start CCNP.

I can access the lab anytime, not only as a part of the NetAcad classes, so I want to use it for my CCNP studies.
  • Options
    mkomon wrote:
    I've done CCNA 1-4, I'm supposed to finish CCNA#4 this week and then I plan to start CCNP.

I can access the lab anytime, not only as a part of the NetAcad classes, so I want to use it for my CCNP studies.

mkomon,

Questions:
    1. When you mention "...I'm supposed to finish CCNA#4 this week..." under which curriculum? CCNA 3.1? CCNA - Explorations? CCNA - Discovery?
    2. Does your Cisco Networking Academy offer the CCNP level courses?
  • Options
    It is the 3.1 version.

Yes, another local academy does offer CCNP courses, I am going to take them.

I just wanted to extend the local lab as it is located in my dorm and I can access it anytime.

Martin
  • Options
    mkomon wrote:
    It is the 3.1 version.

Yes, another local academy does offer CCNP courses, I am going to take them.

I just wanted to extend the local lab as it is located in my dorm and I can access it anytime.

Martin

mkomon,

From what I understand, in order for a Cisco Networking Academy to offer a certain course, the equipment in the lab must meet a certain "minimum standard." By the lab meeting the "minimum standards" should assure to Cisco that the student will be able to complete enouth of the labs successfully and ultimately meet the requirements for the hands on skills final. This may eventually become a problem when you try to do your self study practice on the Netacad equipment that isn't certified to the CCNP level. I'm just concerned that you're going to run into problems due to the limitations of the equipment you're using.

Then there's the issue of that Cisco Networking Academy having a qualified instructor. To be a qualified instructor for the CCNP track, the instructor must hold the CCNP certificate themselves. Then there's the blessing of the educational institution's blessing to authorize the course's existence.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I still think the lab requirements for the BCMSN posted on the CCNP Prep Center are still a little extreme.

The suggested CCNP Labs are first mentioned in this thread -- along with my comments :D
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21776

The link to the CCNP Prep Center is in the Other Cisco Resources of the CCNP FAQ. The suggested/recommended equipment should still be posted there.

The quality and quantity of equipment in Cisco Network Academies can vary -- since it is a world wide program.

I'd start by adding some layer 3 switches to the lab for the CCNP BCMSN exam -- 3560s if possible, but 3750s should also work. If we were talking about a "home lab" I say grab one or two 3550s off of eBay since they are cheaper, and wait until you want a CCIE R&S Lab to get 2 3560/3750 switches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!