Options

Interview type questions

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys

I work for a charity in the Uk we basically refurbish old computers and train and assist vulnerably housed adults.

We are looking at taking on a few volunteers to assist in a range of jobs in our workshop i.e building computers, wiping hard disks etc,

Part of this volunteer process will involve myself carrying out interviews now this going to be a new experience and I really would like to get some guys in with some better than basic I.T skills.

What would be the key questions to ask?

i.e can you tell me about your previous I.T history?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Hi Guys

I work for a charity in the Uk we basically refurbish old computers and train and assist vulnerably housed adults.

We are looking at taking on a few volunteers to assist in a range of jobs in our workshop i.e building computers, wiping hard disks etc,

Part of this volunteer process will involve myself carrying out interviews now this going to be a new experience and I really would like to get some guys in with some better than basic I.T skills.

What would be the key questions to ask?

i.e can you tell me about your previous I.T history?

Q1 - Are you crazy enough to work for free?

If they say yes, this is where you climb over the desk and hug them and say 'congratulations you got the job'
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol that made me laugh!

The people that usually come to us have I.T skills but don't necessarily have the confidence or experience of being in a work environment. The trouble is giving these guys a incentive to stay with us for a few weeks or months.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,038 Admin
    Sit them down in front of a completely disassembled beige box computer and have them assemble and boot it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Sit them down in front of a completely disassembled beige box computer and have them assemble and boot it.

To take it up a notch, put the parts and the case on different tables across the room from each other. Be sure to pick a carpeted room and have them take their shoes off and walk around in their socks.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,038 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    To take it up a notch, put the parts and the case on different tables across the room from each other. Be sure to pick a carpeted room and have them take their shoes off and walk around in their socks.
    OK, Mr. Smartie: Put all the parts and tools in a canvas bag, drop it off the end of a pier, and have the applicant reassemble the computer underwater while wearing a deep-sea diving suit (like Cuba Gooding Jr. did for Robert De Niro in Men of Honor).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aw. C'mon. That was a static electricity joke. No one thought that was funny? icon_cry.gif

I do that all the time in my apartment, which is why it was on my mind. On top of that, I have a pair of fluffy kitties rubbing against me en route as well. It's only a matter of time before something get's zapped icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    OK, Mr. Smartie: Put all the parts and tools in a canvas bag, drop it off the end of a pier, and have the applicant reassemble the computer underwater while wearing a deep-sea diving suit (like Cuba Gooding Jr. did for Robert De Niro in Men of Honor).

Ahh comon its gotta be challenging I could do that without oxygen as well as my hands tied behind my back. Id say throw them outta a plain with the parts scattered in the air and say they gotta build a PC before they hit the ground (if your a charity parachutes could be limited so good luck on applicants!).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    andygeeandygee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would defintely have a practical test nothing complicated but something which gives you a chance to see how they work.

Also might be worth asking some scenario questions.

Ask about experince and skills they have gained?

Maybe worth asking compentcy based questions.

Let them do the talking but also remeber to make sure you have a good pitch for the role. Exaplisn what they can gain from the role. That its better than paying a fortune for some course which in many cases it is at first as practical skills are sorely missing in many Technicans i see, yet they can quote me entire chapters of A+ books etc.

As one of the hardest parts of I.T is getting experience so people should be biting your hand off
    for a chance.

Good luck and I hope you get some real good candidates