Here I have a good one for you.

C:\>gpresult
ERROR: Initialization failure.

---Attempts at fixing

* Removed and readded to the domain.
* gpupdate and gpupdate /force appears to work
* Nothing real extravagant in the event log
* Started computer browser and RPC locater
* Can ping and communicate with the logonserver (domain controller)
* See that the computer account does fill in the information when first joined to the domain (eliminates any worry that for some reason it isn't using that account)
* gpedit starts fine as does regedit

Only other solution is to reimage the machine, which is an option, I just hate when I have to resort to that.
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you run gpresult for the user\computer from the GPMC?

On the computer that is having an issue, do you see any communication or access issuesin the userenv log?
    C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No and No

There were increasing Event ID: 1090 errors in the event log so I decided to look at that.

I had to perform the following

Ionut Marin (Last update 8/18/2005):
    As per Microsoft: "The Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) information for this application of Group Policy could not be processed. Even though Group Policy might have been successfully applied, the RSoP diagnostic information is not available". See MSW2KDB for details on this problem.

From a newsgroup post, from a Microsoft Engineer: "It could be that there is a problem with WMI on this machine. You can try recreating some of the WMI files using the steps below:
    1 Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.
    2 Go to the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
    3. Delete all of the files that are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
    4 Restart the computer. The files that were deleted are recreated when the computer restarts.
    The Windows Management Instrumentation service will start automatically when you restart the computer".

and thats from

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1090&eventno=1881&source=Userenv&phase=1

gpresult gets its data through WMI so for whatever reason the RSoP or WMI got corrupted and wasn't allowing gpresult to run
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Also, if you have set any of the Restricted Groups in the Security Settings of a GPO and defined who is a member of that PCs local Administrators group, be sure that you include the machine local System, Network Service, and Local Service accounts. We didn't and that played hell with WMI and Group Policy application. I tried all kinds of crazy things such as WMI Repository rebuilds before I finally tracked it down to a security problem with WMI and added those groups back in. Worked fine ever since.