Options

How do you motivate yourself

2»

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    It does require discipline to get certificated.

But I find it is makes is faster if you study in reverse.

Instead of reading the book, doing the practice exams and then schedule the actual exam, I find it is better to do the practice exams, study on the questions that you go wrong on the exam and then when you get enough of them right, set the exam date.
    You better be studying from extraordinarily comprehensive practice tests them. :)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    99% time I can't even get motivated to get out of bed in the morning. icon_redface.gif

Your diet is clearly lacking caffeine icon_lol.gif

I have coffee in the morning. icon_wink.gif
    You need to drink the coffee before you try to get out of bed. icon_shaking.gif
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    99% time I can't even get motivated to get out of bed in the morning. icon_redface.gif

Your diet is clearly lacking caffeine icon_lol.gif

I have coffee in the morning. icon_wink.gif
    You need to drink the coffee before you try to get out of bed. icon_shaking.gif

Haha, I think it's deeper then just caffeine intake. icon_wink.gif

My doctor wants me to get screened for A.D.D. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Haha, I think it's deeper then just caffeine intake. icon_wink.gif

My doctor wants me to get screened for A.D.D. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif
    Many people with ADD and ADHD have a paradoxical reaction to stimulants, such as amphetamines and caffeine, which actually calms them down. This is why a lot of AD(H)D medications are actually based on stimulants.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    JDMurray wrote:
    Schedule and pay for the the exam you are studying for to take in six weeks and you'll study your a$$ off not wanting to waste the money failing the exam. Werks fer me! :P

Great advice, I have done this for each of my certs and it works.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always thought it was more of how you're studying. People have different strengths when it comes to the various learning styles. To address this, I balance my reading (book study, white paper, articles, etc.) with CBTs (more visual learning) and general tinkering (hands on, applied learning). I'd find the study method that interests you most, and place a heavier concentration there. Be careful not to neglect the other learning styles, as some balance can stave off boredom.

I remember several times when reading a Microsoft Press text guide started to get a little stale. I'd end up reading sentences two or three times to fully comprehend, as my mind wandered to subjects more enticing. I'd then get up, start up a CBT covering the same topics, and the interest returned, and the learning came easy to me again. When the CBTs started getting stale, I'd apply the things I'd just learned, and also I'd get back to reading, with renewed vigor.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I similar problem, could not get motivated to study. I found myself completely burnt out after completely my MCSE. Even after taking a few weeks off, I could just never get back into the groove of things, I believe I went too hard too fast for my MCSE. I later tried studying for Linux & CCNA, but I had to fight through a chapter.

I ended up taking an extended break. I took a look at where I wanted to progress, and I have started back up, I am actually excited and eagerly awaiting my 70-298 book I ordered yesterday.

Sometimes it's actually better to put the book down for a while and walk away. Don’t forget to take time for yourself.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    netwaynenetwayne Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vsmith3rd wrote:
    I always thought it was more of how you're studying. People have different strengths when it comes to the various learning styles. To address this, I balance my reading (book study, white paper, articles, etc.) with CBTs (more visual learning) and general tinkering (hands on, applied learning). I'd find the study method that interests you most, and place a heavier concentration there. Be careful not to neglect the other learning styles, as some balance can stave off boredom.

I remember several times when reading a Microsoft Press text guide started to get a little stale. I'd end up reading sentences two or three times to fully comprehend, as my mind wandered to subjects more enticing. I'd then get up, start up a CBT covering the same topics, and the interest returned, and the learning came easy to me again. When the CBTs started getting stale, I'd apply the things I'd just learned, and also I'd get back to reading, with renewed vigor.

I agree wholeheartedly with these comments. I don't think I could have passed the CCNA on just one or two sources for study due to the volume of material to be covered and my self-diagnosed ADD. Mixing up how I studied whether it be reading text, hands on labs, CBT's.....etc made all the difference to me.

To the OP's question about how to get motivated....I guess it's tied to one's goals. Some of the people on this forum are hardcore and are highly disciplined and totally self motivated. I take my hat off to them. In my situation, I had been doing the same thing in IT for too long (desktop and server support) and got laid off from my job of nearly 7 years. I quickly realized that I hadn't really progressed and kept up with skills and decided to venture into a different area of IT. That area is networking so I made use of my downtime by putting my head down to knock off the CCNA. Now with some decent IT experience and a new cert, it is my intention to start my career down a different path that I consider at a higher level technically, more challenging and with greater income potential.