Options

salary expectations

certifymecertifyme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, what should i put down for salary expectations for a full time emplyee position (IT analyst). This is one of the question in the email the corp sent me. I don't really have any IT experiences. Should i put down any reasonable offer?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Negotiable.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always put what I want to be paid. If you want to be paid $30,000 then put that. No point in going any further in the process if they are not willing to pay you what you want. If you just want a job at any pay rate than like undomiel stated put negotiable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    certifymecertifyme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.. Yea i just need a job to gain some experiences... so basically any offer is fine with me.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    **** wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.. Yea i just need a job to gain some experiences... so basically any offer is fine with me.
    I think in your position with no experience, you'll be somewhat at the company's mercy, however if you can do some investigating and find out what people in similar positions in your area make it could be a good indicator of what you should be offered and possibly provide some leverage.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    If I was you I would be happy with anything in the $15 an hour range. Good Luck with it. Once you get your experience it only goes up from there. My first job was crappy pay as well. shoot my current job is kinda crappy as well but the experience is definitely going to help build me a nice resume.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's hard to be too picky with salary on your first IT job. Go ahead and try for th $15/hr and see what happens.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I always put what I want to be paid. If you want to be paid $30,000 then put that. No point in going any further in the process if they are not willing to pay you what you want. If you just want a job at any pay rate than like undomiel stated put negotiable.

Horrible advice, could be the worst advice to give someone in a job hunt. Never tell anyone what you want to make until there is an offer on the table for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    gary221 wrote:
    Horrible advice, could be the worst advice to give someone in a job hunt. Never tell anyone what you want to make until there is an offer on the table for obvious reasons.

I disagree. If you are not willing to work for less than a certain amount you should let it be known. No point in carrying on with interviews if you are not going to meet eye to eye or at least in the same ballpark on salary.

I always give a range the first time I talk to a company. If they say they are not willing to pay that much (which has only happened to me twice) I say thank you for your time and move on.

Like I said if you just want a job no matter the pay tell them its negotiable.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't call that horrible advice because I agree that it's foolish to waste everyone's time, but I think Garv's concern is that you might get stuck with a lower salary than you would have gotten through negotiation.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    gary221 wrote:

I disagree. If you are not willing to work for less than a certain amount you should let it be known. No point in carrying on with interviews if you are not going to meet eye to eye or at least in the same ballpark on salary.

I always give a range the first time I talk to a company. If they say they are not willing to pay that much (which has only happened to me twice) I say thank you for your time and move on.

icon_eek.gif Read any article, book on finding and securing a job and it will tell you never to tell the employer what you want to make. It is just foolish, what do you make now by the way? You are taking the negotiating process out of hiring.... If not money you can secure more vacation time or benefits...Crazyness
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You put "Expected Salary $35,000" down on your application, I'm going to offer you maybe $32,000, if you don't take it I might "up the offer to $35,000"

You don't put down anything I might offer you $32,000 still or I might start out the negotiating at $38,000.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    You put "Expected Salary $35,000" down on your application, I'm going to offer you maybe $32,000, if you don't take it I might "up the offer to $35,000"

You don't put down anything I might offer you $32,000 still or I might start out the negotiating at $38,000.

What would you do if I asked for one billion dollars!!!

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg
  • Options
    I guess I'm more of a straight shooter. I know what I want to make and either they are going to give it to me or not.

I take all of the decision making out of their hands and into mine. If you want them to decide your salary go right ahead, but I like to make the decision on mine icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it is important to negotiate as well. You always want to bring up money when you know they want you. That way you have the most negotiation power and if they want you bad enough they will offer it. Also if they say they are not will to negotiate on salary try other things, benefits, vacation, personal, 401k...Anything is negotiable
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    True, benefits are important to calculate in.

I would take a job as a Junior Sys Admin with a salary of $40,000 and 3 weeks of vacation over the exact same job paying $45,000 with only 2 weeks. Any one hazard a guess as to why?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    astorrs wrote:
    True, benefits are important to calculate in.

I would take a job as a Junior Sys Admin with a salary of $40,000 and 3 weeks of vacation over the exact same job paying $45,000 with only 2 weeks. Any one hazard a guess as to why?

Your salary will generally grow faster than your amount of vacation. It might take you 2-3 years of work to gain that extra week off, but you might get a 5k raise in 1 year.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    They asked for your expected salary in an email so they're looking for some kind of answer. Don't give a set amount (15/hr) as that narrows it down and limits your negotiating position. Either answer negotiable or put in a range. If you can get an idea of what the position usually brings within the company or local area so much the better. Use that as a basis for your range.

And don't just accept the first offer. Anything is negotiable. Start with salary and if they won't budge then try for more vacation time or a higher match rate for your 401K. Employeers typically low ball the first offer hoping you;ll take it. Just don't get crazy. If they offer 15/hr try for 17/hr (if that's within the range to be expected) and "settle" for 16/hr with an extra 2 days of vacation. Bonus for you. No need to just accept that first offer just because it's your first job, unless they make it apparent they aren't going to budge . After all if it's gotten to salary negotiations you know they want you so get what you can at the start as it's much easier than trying to negotiate a raise later.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gary221 wrote:

I agree with Garv here. I "want" to be paid $300,000/year but I won't get any job paying that much no matter my qualifications. You're going to say that's an extreme example but if I had taken the advice you gave that I've quoted here, I wouldn't have gotten my latest job. The interviewer asked me my expected salary and I told him what I wanted to make. He said they can only pay about 10K below what I asked. I could've called it off right then but I went along in the interview and when it was time to offer me the job, I negotiated and got my expected salary.
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    #1 rule of negotiation: The first person to name a number loses.
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go to salary sites and find the salary range, then go from there.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Ask on the high side. If they dont give it to you, you can negotiate down. You can't negotiate up once you say a $