Circuit City Firedog

2»

Comments

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Firedog and Geeksquad jobs are all based on location and management within the store. I worked for Firedog for 2 weeks and hated it... horrible co-workers and too much sales(and I actually like doing sales!)

These jobs are hit and miss with mediocre pay... If you can stay sane for 6 month-1 year I say go for it, looks ok on resumes...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    jryantech wrote:
    Firedog and Geeksquad jobs are all based on location and management within the store. I worked for Firedog for 2 weeks and hated it... horrible co-workers and too much sales(and I actually like doing sales!)

These jobs are hit and miss with mediocre pay... If you can stay sane for 6 month-1 year I say go for it, looks ok on resumes...

ok, he was only asking for help, don't go overboard... EVERYONE starts somewhere and EVERYONE asks questions. Your doing the right thing, I commend you for asking for help to improve yourself.

Just because someone else doesn't enjoy the job doesn't mean you won't. Like I have posted earlier my first job was working at a computer shop, I learned a ton - from anything from the basics of hardware to fixing day to day computer problems. It really opened the door for me as far as this is what I wanted to do for a living.

What they mean by sales IMO is that they will ask you for suggestions, well your running 128mb of ram - looks like you'll need an upgrade - i'd recommend atleast ya ya ya...

Resumes are tough - put things you feel comfortable with and remember as HeroPsycho has said to me - your selling yourself... IMO I would tailor my resume to the exact job description that is posted by firedog.

Remember to be very OPEN minded when asking questions, here at TE we love to give our opinions.

Best of luck.....
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Jimmysan88Jimmysan88 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    From what I've seen working at circuit city as a computer sales person, they mostly just hang around their bench, repair peoples computers, do computer services on new computers (install anti-malware, do their optimization) and do any services for customers over the phone (telling them how to set up their home router comes to mind).

I learned this the hard ware: they don't hire anyone that hasn't done sales to be a firedog tech, they always bring someone from within the company to do it. And usually the one thats been selling the computers the longest gets first dibs on it. I also think qualifications don't matter either, just how long you've been there.

Sorry to inform you that you are wrong. I just got hired by Firedog and i have no sales experience at all. So I think it depends where you apply and who you are and what you bring to the table. No certifications do not matter unless you want to become a lead tech or manager for the firedog department.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Jimmysan88 wrote:
    Talic wrote:
    From what I've seen working at circuit city as a computer sales person, they mostly just hang around their bench, repair peoples computers, do computer services on new computers (install anti-malware, do their optimization) and do any services for customers over the phone (telling them how to set up their home router comes to mind).

I learned this the hard ware: they don't hire anyone that hasn't done sales to be a firedog tech, they always bring someone from within the company to do it. And usually the one thats been selling the computers the longest gets first dibs on it. I also think qualifications don't matter either, just how long you've been there.

Sorry to inform you that you are wrong. I just got hired by Firedog and i have no sales experience at all. So I think it depends where you apply and who you are and what you bring to the table. No certifications do not matter unless you want to become a lead tech or manager for the firedog department.

Well it probably varies where you live and how much they fill the position, in big city like where I live there's a lot of entry IT people so they work as sales and wait for a FD position to open.
    Everyone I talked to while I was there had worked in sales and moved into firedog after they spent some time in sales.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    unfortunately, i don't think it matters now. they filed chapter 11 today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081110/circuit_city_bankruptcy.html?.v=2

what you might wanna do if you have someone who works there with access to their records is try to get a hold of their customer base in your area, then get a hold of their customers before best buy does. just a suggestion.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Chapter 11 is just protection from creditors while reorganizing a business. It doesn't mean CC is going out of business, but they certainly may not be hiring much during their reorg.
    uhhh, yeah, they'll probably get millions of tax payer money from the gov't just like everybody else. once one company gets a piece, they all stick there hands out. whats so "free" about the free market that does not allow companies to fail? but don't worry, you and i will pay for this in spades and the dollar will become worthless. while the fed is at it, why don't they just pay off my mortgage as well.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    what you might wanna do if you have someone who works there with access to their records is try to get a hold of their customer base in your area, then get a hold of their customers before best buy does. just a suggestion.

Great idea. I hear prisons for white collar crimes are much nicer. Do that, but don't steal any actual merchandise, because then you'll be in a jail cell without a view.

Sarcasm. America's real second language.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Chapter 11 is just protection from creditors while reorganizing a business. It doesn't mean CC is going out of business, but they certainly may not be hiring much during their reorg.

Circuit City didn't file for Chapter 11 before but they laid off a lot of employees who they felt were "making to much" years back.

If they don't do something they will be out of the markets and then they will go down the toilet.

I remember how pathetic I felt working for that company the 3 weeks I did... One morning they had a meeting and the stock price was at 1.81 and the manager tells us we should invest in the company. He claimed the stock price will double in a month... I was the only one looking around like "is this guy for real?"...

I honestly would love to go say hi to that store but I don't want to embarrass those people as much as they embarrass themselves with there lack of intelligence. My experience as a customer and employee has always been **** with Circuit City.

They are getting what they deserve.

white collar crime? can you please explain? just curious? i think passing a 850 billion dollar bailout without "we the people" getting a say in it is a far worse crime my friend. i think the gov't has a few more serious things on their plate right now anyway to worry about. icon_wink.gif
    jryantech wrote:
    I honestly would love to go say hi to that store but I don't want to embarrass those people as much as they embarrass themselves with there lack of intelligence. My experience as a customer and employee has always been **** with Circuit City.

Man, you sound like an immature disgruntled former employee. People are individuals. Some are stupid. Some not. Did you think you would be working amongst rocket scientists at a retail electronics store?
    white collar crime? can you please explain? just curious? i think passing a 850 billion dollar bailout without "we the people" getting a say in it is a far worse crime my friend. i think the gov't has a few more serious things on their plate right now anyway to worry about. icon_wink.gif

Fight the power! I was just having fun. icon_wink.gif
    And how does that make the illicit appropriation of private consumer information any less illegal?
    JDMurray wrote:
    And how does that make the illicit appropriation of private consumer information any less illegal?

Yeah, what he said.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

"We the people" elected the officials that made the decisions that is what say we have. Could you imagine if every bill passed had to go through a national voting process? Nothing would ever get done. Kind of like now but a lot worse icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Man, you sound like an immature disgruntled former employee. People are individuals. Some are stupid. Some not. Did you think you would be working amongst rocket scientists at a retail electronics store?

That is exactly what I am an immature disgruntled former employee. But see I am a RIGHT immature disgruntled former employee.

Honestly... The first day when the Technician Lead came up to me the conversion went like this:

Him: "So I heard you have your AA Certfication? I also have an AA Cert and a few Microsoft ones"

Me: "Well I have the A+, which Microsoft Certifications do you have? I'm planning on taking the 270 in a few months but school is my focus right now"

Him: "Oh right the A+, Yeah I got my Microsoft Operations Certification used to work at Lockheed Martin as a desktop support lead but started up here after I got my degree"

Me: *strange look* "Awesome, what degree do you have? I can't wait to achieve mine" *thinking in my head a retail store would be the last place I would be after getting my degree*

Him: "I have an Associates in Business..." *conversation cut off because of customer

do what you want, i guess i am just a person who sees an advantage with other peoples loss. in this economy, i think a lot of people would take that risk!!

think about it, you have a client base that you work for in the area for company "X". company "X" fails. so you decide to take care of the customers yourself. What is wrong with that? company X has no say in it because company X does not exist anymore. end of story my friend.

prosecute? are you serious? i think they would be too busy with all their bankruptcy paperwork.
    do what you want, i guess i am just a person who sees an advantage with other peoples loss. in this economy, i think a lot of people would take that risk!!
    Thank goodness we have laws to protect honest people against this unethical sentiment.
    you mean the laws that the corrupt politicians created. the politicians who are paid off. yeah, thank goodness for them?!? just want to let you know your tying yourself into a knot. bad idea to bring washington into this :D
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    you mean the laws that the corrupt politicians created. the politicians who are paid off. yeah, thank goodness for them?!?

You might want to watch out, one of those corrupt politicians probably have some pull at DISA!!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    you mean the laws that the corrupt politicians created. the politicians who are paid off. yeah, thank goodness for them?!? just want to let you know your tying yourself into a knot. bad idea to bring washington into this :D
    At least it's not the ethical knot (dilemma) that's binding you.

Flimsy rationalization is the last refuge of an unethical scoundrel.
    haha, thats funny! pull at disa, wow, i can't stop laughing!! great joke. if anything i'll get promoted icon_cool.gif if only you knew my friend, if only you knew.
    What you're writing here in this forum will be forever preserved by Google. Be sure that you show these musing to your future employers to get them to promote you too.
This discussion has been closed.