Options

If you can help your a GOD!!!

CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Alright my fellow techs I have a weird problem that has me stumped. I don't know how many of you play the online shooter 2142 but that is what my question is all about. Before you close out of this thread please finish reading it, you may be able to help.

Okay here is the general info about what is happening, when I am playing the game I "squad up" and when your in a squad you can use the in game VOIP to talk to your squad mates. I play this game at my friends house and plug into his network, when I use the VOIP my squad can hear me but I can't hear any replies but my friend who is usally on the other team can hear everything my squad is saying. We have checked setting after setting and nothing seems to change it. Now this doesn't happen all the time sometimes its normal and I can hear my squad and they can hear me.

Does ANYONE know what might be causing this? Is there a setting that I could have over looked, or something with the network we need to double check?

Thanks Everyone
-Cabbage :D
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!

Comments

• Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    With out playing the game.... (is it happening on the same servers??) I would say it might be a server setting.. Not really an exact setting but a setting the is also conflicting with your set up... (network design) ...

I would say check and see if it is happening on the same servers... ( ones that work and ones that don't...)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    It happens on random servers at random times.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't played 2142 in awhile. I just installed it two weeks ago, but haven't updated it yet. I never really use the microphone so, I wouldn't be able to help.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    You are 100% sure that you can't find a single server that it works all the time??? ( if not then it has something to do with your network/computers) Are you able to set up a local server and have it work???
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    You can't set up your own server and have it work the way we need it to. I think that it is something with the network as well, would updating the software on the switchs/routers help? I think that is the only thing that we havn't tried.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey There,

It sounds like a routing issue. 2142 is consuming quite a bit of bandwidth and I bet there may be some packet collisions going on or the router is simply not routing the VOIP traffic properly or not at all.

Do you ever get in-game echoing effects or delay/voice feedback? How many routers, switches are you routing through? If you have a lot of switches or an odd connection setup I would replace switches period. You don't want to use switches if you can help it. Just use routers if you can so they have an accurate routing table.

I worked in a company where we had a VOIP phone server to maintain. I helped connect users over the internet to our phone server. We had similiar issues in routing voice traffic and configuring the local IP server. Sometimes calls were misdirected or voicemails were not properly routed/recorded at all.

I wonder if it is a layer 2 or layer 3 switches that you are using? (Model?)

If you have time, udpate all of the switches/routers firmware as a fist attempt. It may or may not fix the issue..if it is bug related.

-Rikku
  • Options
    We are using 2, one wireless with 4 ports, and one small switch with 6 ports. I will try updating the firmware and see what happens. Maybe if I'm lucky it will resovle itself. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    PERFECT!!!!! :D

That totaly fixed my problem!!!!! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It may have trouble with the ports it needs for audio? If it negotiates a dynamic port for voip from the server your firewall may be blocking it. A lot of games nowadays only specify a range of ports you might need, not a specific one. Sorry I don't play any BF but it would be the next thing I would check.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Okay I will give that a shot and see what happens. If it dosn't work I'm going to bang my head on the wall until I bleed......maybe a blood sacrifice to the computers gods will fix it. :D
  • Options
    Okay guys, I have tried every suggestion you guys have given me and nothing has worked so far......any more ideas?