Options

New to the Cisco world, pursuing CCENT soon

fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm new to the Cisco world of testing and just finished up my MCSA and started to pursue MCSE but kind of got burnt out and as I'm looking at other jobs, alot of them are demanding CCNA so I decided to pursue my CCENT to stat off and continue on to CCNA and eventually CCNP. How different are the Cisco testing format from the Microsoft format? I just started reading and watching CBT nuggets for ICND1 and would like to take the exam by mid July. If it's anything like preparing for a Microsoft exam, it's possible. Also, I'm wanting to build a lab at home. Any suggestions will be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance and I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck. Lots of knowledgeable people to help you out if you have any questions
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From what I've heard, the questions are a lot more straight-forward. It doesn't sound like you're going to have to sift through paragraphs of text to determine what they're looking for.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    fjhesq wrote:
    I just started reading and watching CBT Nuggets for ICND1 and would like to take the exam by mid July.
    I just finished up my CCNA and I highly recommend the CBT Nuggets videos
    Pick up the cisco press ICND 1 book and you should be good to go
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the Cisco Forums :D

Check out the CCNA FAQ if you haven't already found it.

You don't get to mark and review questions (until the CCIE Written Level) -- once you hit NEXT, the question is in the history books. Check out the Cisco Exam Tutorial -- the Link is in the CCNA FAQ.

You could alternate between MS & Cisco -- squeeze the MCSE in between the CCNA and CCNP. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any ideas for a lab? I'm on a budget and at the moment I'm just reading and watching the nuggets for now but I do want to build a lab so I can get some hands-on experience.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fjhesq wrote:
    Any ideas for a lab? I'm on a budget and at the moment I'm just reading and watching the nuggets for now but I do want to build a lab so I can get some hands-on experience.

Like mike said check the FAQ.

But i have 3 x 2600's and 3 x's 2950's...This should suffice for the ccna.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    fjhesq wrote:

Many people believe you need a full lab to pass the CCENT, this is not true. If you want to save some money in the interim I would just use Cisco's Packet Tracer to practice setting up equipment and Command Line stuff.

If you want to spend the money on a small lab that is fine but you can do without it for the ICND1. You may or may not need a lab for the ICND2. People have passed the CCNA without ever touching any Cisco gear. Though there are a few people here who will argue with you until they are blue in the face about getting gear for the CCNA.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As stated earlier, some people have passed CCNA without having actual access to physical equipment. CCENT, you can get away without having gear. I have. Though while studying for ICND2, I've run into difficulty with setting up sims to run STP, VTP, VLANS, access lists, and frame relay. There are some specifics that aren't supported. Also, some commands and short-hands aren't supported. Keep that in mind if you choose to go the simulator route.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Hardware wise you could go with a few 2600's and 2950's and maybe a 2520 for you frame-relay switch. If you wish to pursue your CCNP, i would invest in some 3640's if you can. (Keep in mind the 2600's are modular so make sure they have the correct modules installed"

Also be wary from what you buy on ebay - LOTS of cisco stuff is being sold as counterfeit or sold with malicious software installed on it - a friend of mine bought a T1 Wic from a guy on ebay, turns out it was counterfeit (fortunately the other end was kind enough to send him a new one)

Your best bet (and cheapest) is to look into GNS3 or dynamips for your routing and snagging a few 2950's (they aren't to pricey these days)

The only thing with GNS3/Dynamips, is that you MUST have your own legal copy of IOS for it to work.. check their corresponding websites for more details.

GNS3 - http://www.gns3.net/

Dynamips - http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/blog/
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, im also going for my ccna and have just passed ccent.

You could get away with using a sim for ccent but i would recommend, as you should always do with things your trying to learn, to get some real equipment and get experiance and a feel with it all.

You will probably need equipment for the icnd2 part anyway
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking