Options

Recommended study methods?

mr_midnightmr_midnight Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I just finally got my study materials in the mail from amazon, it took 2 weeks for them to get here due to availability.

I got 3 books (4 counting that exam cram 2 came with 2 books) : Security + exam cram 2 (with practice question book also) Security + prep guide, and Comptia security + guide, syngress 2007.

How would you all advise that I approach using these 3 sources to study, mixing them harmoniously? I figure since the syngress guide is the main book, I would read a chapter in it first, then read the same corresponding chapter in the other 2 books, or just skim through? Any advices on taking notes with pen and paper?

Thoughts are really appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am not sure if you have ever used CBTs, but that is the best I can recommend. A big time saver, beats the number of hours you have to spend reading the books. You off course have to read a several books to get ready for a cert, but I think CBTs saves you reading a book or two. I am preparing for CCNA and am planning to use only one Cisco press book along with CBTs, its been great so far. I read the books for so long before getting to CBTs, and the suff that I learned in weeks of readings, got it in few hours from CBTs. I might stick with those for most of my certs.
  • Options
    mr_midnightmr_midnight Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't learn well from videos. I'm willing to put in 2 or 3 months of reading for this if need be, I've always been a reader and learn well from books - plus I think by reading the material, I can absorb and learn the material better and more deeply than I could from watching the videos.

Again, thanks for the thoughts!
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would read the syngress book and take notes on each chapter. Once you feel you have mastered the material I would skim the other books for supplemental information that was not in the syngress books. Once you fill in the gaps take a practice exam or two to see if you are ready for the real thing. Good Luck
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I just took the test and I agree with gojerico. The Syngress book is very good and will cover most of your needs. Even though many have said it over covers some topics, you will still find information that it does not cover as well. I have not seen any one book that does cover everything. Practice tests are a big help too. You will find the usefulness of the practice tests also varies widely based upon the source.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    eth101eth101 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed sec+ today.

I think the best way to prep is to buy one book (Sybex) which gives you a general idea of the objectives, then use the internet (wikipedia, google, CBTs) to go in depth. Then review the CompTIA Objectives, then do lots of practice test 1 week before the test (Tran$cender, Exam Cram)
  • Options
    jncarterjncarter Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

Good luck in your studies. I just passed yesterday with an 849. I studied using the Microsoft Press book, this site, and ExamForce Cram Master practice tests. I think they prepared me very well for the test. Basically I read the book, read the notes on this site, then I started through the practice sessions in ExamForce and the tests on this site. Finally I worked on the Simuldated exams. I did all this in about a month and by the end I was able to pass all the practice tests with 95-100% scores. I hope this helps.

-Jeremy