Where should I start?

Hello :)

I'm a student who enjoys computer programming, software development and all that jazz.
I'm finishing up my A+ cert and wondering which way I should head now.

I don't really want to do the Network+ cert because networking/internet connections doesn't really interest me that much.

I want to start on a route for like Java(Sun) certs and other programming certifications. Which certs should I go after first, the number of the cert and information on it would be nice.

Thanks!
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What languages have you played with so far, which did you enjoy?

I would probably start with one of the higher level languages as you will start "having fun" faster (so .NET or Java, since both have lots of career opportunities and you can always play with ruby and others down the road). When you say you're a student are you in college (CompSci?) or still in high school?
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    astorrs wrote:
    What languages have you played with so far, which did you enjoy?

I would probably start with one of the higher level languages as you will start "having fun" faster (so .NET or Java, since both have lots of career opportunities and you can always play with ruby and others down the road). When you say you're a student are you in college (CompSci?) or still in high school?

Right now I'm a freshman in college going for my Computer Science A.A. and a Computer Programming A.S. but most of my classes right now are just the normal requirements(english, math, science) with a horrible C introduction class.

I'm studying Java and VB right now, I play around with Python, C++ and ActionScript when I have the time.

I hope this helps you help me :D
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Given your degree is covering Java and OOP (I'm assuming) I would stick with that for now (otherwise if you want to go the .NET route - for employment purposes I would choose C# over VB.NET).

There is a sticky in the Java forum (http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24700) with details about related certifications. Or you can get it direct from Sun: http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/index.xml

If you have enough experience with Java you can probably skip the SCJA cert and move onto the SCJP - that said, it probably wouldn't hurt to start out with something easy, even though its not a prerequisite (up to you, depending on your finances).

Have fun! :)