Options

How to pass exam

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,

I tray to pass the CCNA exam, but I have only [CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 6th Edition (640-802), by Todd Lammle] book. My question is this book enough to me after the reading to pass the exam.

I have two router and one swicth to make a testing.

BR,
Auos.

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    It should be enough. It will be up to you how diligently you study and do your labs. Don't forget the practice exams and technotes on this site! they are very helpful. Feel free to ask questions, too :D

As a side note, you might look at ICND1 & 2 Official Exam Guide 3rd edition by Wendell Odom.
  • Options
    StovokorStovokor Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I and a group of guys I worked with used his book for the old 640-801 exam and we all passed it. I did pick up the ICND certification guide and found that the CD material was great and informative. The aforementioned material with the addition of this site and the various sites that are out there that allow you to test your subnetting skills all added to my ability to pass the test.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have access to some equipment that is a huge help as well to practice the theory
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Auos,

I actually used the Sybex book by Todd Lammle and I feel it was a great resource. The only problem I had was when I sat for the test, I was given questions about NAT and there was nothing on that topic in that book. Granted this was the 640-801 exam so I don't know what has been added for the 640-802 exam. Other then NAT, it was a great resource.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    IF you cannot afford equipment you can download Cisco's Packet Tracer to practice CLI for the IOS. It is more than perfect for the CCENT if you wish to take the two exam route. But you may wish to get several routers for Frame Relay and a few switches to practice VLAN, VTP and STP et al. Though equipment is not totally necessary.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree with LBC...for the CCNA track, equipment, while it can be extremely helpful, is not needed. I used virtual lab software. It was enough to practice all the configurations needed to pass the exam. Now for the CCNP, thats another story.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    StovokorStovokor Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IT Man wrote:
    Auos,

I actually used the Sybex book by Todd Lammle and I feel it was a great resource. The only problem I had was when I sat for the test, I was given questions about NAT and there was nothing on that topic in that book. Granted this was the 640-801 exam so I don't know what has been added for the 640-802 exam. Other then NAT, it was a great resource.

Whoops...thanks for reminding me...the NAT and PAT issue was the main driver for me getting the ICND book..I have to agree the Sybex book really lacked in the NAT and PAT areas.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT Man wrote:
    Yeah I agree with LBC...for the CCNA track, equipment, while it can be extremely helpful, is not needed. I used virtual lab software. It was enough to practice all the configurations needed to pass the exam. Now for the CCNP, thats another story.

Do you notice that he sticks his right hand in the monitor and hits him from the left side?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mishra wrote:
    IT Man wrote:

Do you notice that he sticks his right hand in the monitor and hits him from the left side?

icon_lol.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Dear All,

Great thanks about your comments.

BR,
    Auos :P
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    IT Man wrote:

Yeah I did but I thought it was funny icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    auos wrote:
    Hi,

I tray to pass the CCNA exam, but I have only [CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 6th Edition (640-802), by Todd Lammle] book. My question is this book enough to me after the reading to pass the exam.

I have two router and one swicth to make a testing.

BR,
    Auos.

Hey, I'd highly recommend checking out "http://www.cbtnuggets.com/".
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Sybex + www.cisco.com are sufficient if you like to research on your own.

Add in Wendell Odom books to gain extra knowledge.

For the old track Testout videos were excellent, although not sure if they made updated ones for new exams.
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought a couple old routers and switches on ebay. (3 2500's, 2 2900's, a 3100 and a 2600). I havent passed the test yet, but its done a lot for my understanding. Actually getting the routers up and talking to each other. dealing with different issues about how to telnet/console into the boxes. A lot of things I never would have figured out if I had only read books and used sims. Also, I think its important to keep your eye on the ball. The point of getting a CCNA is to get work (or better paying work). I can confidently say I can TFTP an image to my laptop, then over to another box no problem. I can get interfaces up and talking and other neat stuff. I've dealt with some of the idiosyncracies you only touch in the real world. The sims are all set up around "ideal" configurations that come from the text books. In the real world some folks are using a very heterogeneous bunch of gear. Old switches get shuffled over to out of band management networks or heartbeat lan. Sometimes you just dont have enough blades in that big ole 6500 for all your disk arrays and 1U servers so you put the less mission critical stuff on an intermediate switch for the time being.
    Er uh, thats the other thing. I mostly see 6500's in datacenters. And those are NOWHERE in the books or the sims. (or in my home lab for that matter!)
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    Matt_ChrisMatt_Chris Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This thread is facinating!! :)
    tO bE or nOt tO bE..
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The equipment and book you mentioned are what got me through my CCNA on first attempt. If you have any questions definitely post them here. We are a friendly bunch that like to help :)

Best of luck :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    hockeybloodhockeyblood Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets, Sybex CCNA rel 6, 1 PC, dynamips, packet tracer..a sketchpad for your network diagrams and passion. You can't go wrong with that.