Options

Dynamic volumes - can't format with FAT or FAT32

MarkieMarkie Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all.

I have a question regarding the file systems (i.e. Fat, Fat32 or NTFS) that can be used when formatting dynamic volumes under Windows Server 2003.

According to the literature, it seems simple, spanned and striped volumes can all be formatted with the FAT, FAT32 or NTFS file systems. However, if you plan on extending a simple or spanned volume in the future, then it must be formatted with NTFS. (It seems the same rules apply for WinXP Pro as well).

I don't have a machine running Server 2003 so my test environment is Microsoft Virtual Server 2004, which is running on top of WinXp Pro.

When running disk management on either a domain controller or a member server, I am restricted to the use of the NTFS file system when working with dynamic volumes. So for instance, when creating a simple, spanned, or striped volume, the FAT and FAT32 file systems are not available options.

However, when working with basic disks, I am able to choose the FAT32 file system.

I am guessing that it has something to do with the configuration of the Virtual Server environment.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
The oxen is slow but the earth is patient!!!!

Comments