Options

[b]?? Setting up sharing folders on a network??[/b]

Rehnbo82Rehnbo82 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to connect two computers so I could share some folders. My dads computer is upstairs and mine in downstairs, were pluged into the same router. He has 4 web access points in the house. I have Xp Home and clicked on the folder to share it, set up everything ok. He did the same. For some reason we cannot reach each others computer, it says we dont have the admin. rights to access each other. Do I have to set up the right permissions on mine. Or do I have to set up my computer as a server, and his as a client. We checked the firewall settings, is there a certin port I have to open up to allow access to him. And if he has Xp Pro, which I have to check again, does he have to then disable simple file sharing option?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will each need to use an account that is on the computer that you're trying to connect to. For example, if you're trying to connect to your Dad's computer, you will need to log in as a user on that computer, and vice versa.

If it's giving you the option to log in, your firewall settings are correct. It would just time out and you'd get no response if the firewall was blocking communication.
  • Options
    Rehnbo82Rehnbo82 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do I log into his computer with a new name?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It should prompt you for a username/password when you try to connect to the share. If the username/password you are logged in under are also on the other machine, it will just use those and not prompt you again.

You'll also have to double-check your share and ntfs permissions to make sure the account you're using actually has the correct permissions.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Rehnbo82 wrote:
    How do I log into his computer with a new name?
    After you share out a folder...go to the other computer, drill down through my network places. The first time you connect to it, you'll need to put the credentials in. At this point you should map it or create a shortcut at least.